Saturday, September 15, 2007

Graffiti . . .

Adam and I have decided to get involved with the new Canvas ministry at FBC - Matt and Becky Miller (two of our favorite people!) have decided to expand it to become a 20s ministry rather than just a college ministry - and we're excited about a place to serve, experience community, and to make friends that we can seek the Lord alongside of . . .

Last night was the first meeting of the group. The meeting was held in the college house, which is on the edge of our church's property. When we walked into the house, we were shocked to find paint splattered literally all over everything in the kitchen. Matt explained the house had been broken into and vandalized - and we spent a little time walking around and praying for our ministry, the house, and the people who vandalized it. Paint splatters, obscenities (the f-word and the n-word) as well as several other phrases like "God is Dead" and "This is our house now" were painted on the ceilings, windows and floors all over the house.

There is one room in the house that we have designated as our "prayer room." The room is painted on every wall with the different names of God. I was most struck by the vandalism when I walked into the normally soothing blue room to see the Lord's name attacked with bright strokes of red paint. More than the shock of these actions, however, I was struck by the realization that it changed nothing. Regardless of whether the names were splattered with red paint or not, God is still our Redeemer, Comforter, Strength, the Alpha and Omega, our Rock . . . the vandals had changed nothing, despite their best efforts.

I realized standing there that the same thing is true about me and my faith. There have been so many times throughout my life when people write labels on me. They splatter with red paint and try to cover up all the things that God says are true about me. This past week in particular, I have felt like the enemy has been trying to dissuade me from going downtown and working with the kids - because it's hard, and I can't tell if I'm making a difference . . . but standing in a room streaked with red paint, I realized that no matter how hard the enemy tries to paint me, label me and vandalize me - it changes nothing about who I am or what God has called me to do. So when it gets hard and I am uncertain, I will cling to what is true - I will remember what is UNDER that red paint - the powerful and unchanging truth about who God is and who I am in Him.

1 comment:

  1. Your writing about this is beautiful and so true. What a neat picture of our worth in God.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...