Sunday, February 22, 2009

Weekend Update

And with a title as thrilling as that, who wouldn't want to read this post?

For those of you who follow me on Twitter, you know that I went to Barnes & Noble with my hubby on Friday night. As a side note, I cannot imagine who wouldn't want to follow me on Twitter - most of my tweets are about food, diet coke, and baby-related issues like sleeping (or not sleeping) and poop. So basically, terribly exciting. Or boring. Whatever.

Barnes and Noble is fairly close to what I would consider heaven. Just throw in some rowdy inner-city kids and I'd be willing to spend the rest of my life there at least. And I may or may not have done a little bit of a happy dance right there in the "Religious Fiction" section when I realized that one of my very favorite authors in the whole world had a brand new book. Who is this author you ask? Her name is Lisa Sampson. And people, if you like Jesus and fiction at all then you need to run (I suppose you could walk if you are partial to not-exercising like I am) and get one or all of her books. She is edgy, fascinating, and I flat-out love her. Just don't tell her because she might be a little panicked by my level of adoration.

Don't take my word for how great she is though - read this (and take your time, let it sink in):
"I thought perhaps that might be too hard for God. I confess, sometimes I still think some things are too hard for God. I mean, deep down I think that. But thankfully there's an even deeper down. Unfortunately, crawling down into that well hurts like the devil because we know God can do something and yet doesn't, and we don't have many choices after that realization, and none of them are one hundred percent easy breezy." (from The Passion of Mary Margaret)

Amen and Amen. I mean, I can't help but admire (and maybe envy just a little) authors who can take something so ephemeral and yet deeply TRUE and crystallize it in words. It's harder than I make it look here on this bloggy (ha kidding).

But seriously, read her stuff and visit her blog. She rocks. And I believe so much in what she writes and what she does for Jesus and justice that I might even lend you one of her books if you ask nicely. I especially recommend, you know, ALL of them.

Back to Barnes and Noble. It was great fun, but it turns out that it's quiet in there, much like a library. And while Adam and I were sitting there with Jayci grinning away at us, she started tooting. Loudly. Adam and I couldn't stop giggling. Because we are mature like that.

So that was Friday night, and then Saturday and Sunday we hung out with our kiddos downtown and went to church, ate Mexican food and Chick-fil-a (which may have been a little over-ambitious as my first meals after the flu). So basically, it could not have been a better weekend. Well unless I won the lottery or ate banana cream cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory.

Right now I am sitting here eating a very large bowl of oatmeal chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream with whipped cream on top. While I'm searching the internet for a bathing suit for my upcoming trip to Puerto Rico.

And I will try and have a less rambling, nonsensical post next time. But I'm not making any promises.

6 comments:

  1. A.) I can't believe I didn't know you were on Twitter until now. Twitter is a minor obsession of mine.

    B.) Can I borrow one of Lisa's books next time I see you?

    C.) Your daughter is hilarious and I'm sure y'all weren't the only ones giggling at B&N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know about the twitter thing. I'm a follower now! :)

    And the tooting thing at B&N??? We have our own tooter in this house. It's not so cute anymore though.

    Off to check out Lisa now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check out that author... I do love Jesus & I do love books so a good author that does a good book... I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are beginning to feel better...cookie dough ice cream can make anyone feel better!!!!

    You couldn't pay me to get into a bathing suit!!:) You're braver than me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote Lisa's name down and will check her out. Puerto Rico, I'm so jealous. Please be thinking of your bloggy friends :o)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...