Wednesday, March 18, 2009

In the Interest of Keeping Things Real

I'm not kidding or exaggerating when I say that I flat-out CANNOT get things together. Ever since I was pregnant and left my purse in my cart in the parking lot at Publix, things just keep getting crazier and more out of control. And I dont know if I've mentioned this before, but I like control.

Although i have never claimed to be Susie Homemaker, things have gotten slightly atrocious around here lately. (Warning: my mom-in-law may want to avert her eyes lest she faint from shock and horror)

This is what my house currently looks like:


I even took pictures of the dust bunnies. The ones that are in the middle of the floor rather than hiding respectfully under the furniture. But I wont post those because I have my limits people.

As you know, yesterday was Jayci's 6 month birthday. And around here, that's a cause for celebratory cake. Nevermind that she can't eat it yet. It doesn't take much to be a cause for celebratory desserts around here.

So yesterday I set about making some cake. And here's how it turned out:

I may have forgotten to grease the pans and slightly significantly over-cooked them. I attempted to salvage them by breaking off the burnt edges and figuring I could cover all the ugliness with icing. However, when I set about spreading said icing over the cake, I may have forgotten to let it cool long enough, so it was pretty much the opposite of pretty.

To borrow a phrase from BigMama, I am the ghetto Martha Stewart.

Luckily, I am nothing if not resilient (that may not be true, but I need something to hold on to right now). So I simply made my disaster into yummy cake balls (A la Pioneer Woman). Because when life gives you crappy baking skills, make cake balls. At least that's what I always say.

Unfortunately, even my cake balls are slightly ghetto. But at least they taste good, and that's really all that matters.


Oh and one more thing:

Yes that is my Christmas tree in the backyard. Just keeping it real y'all, just keeping it real.

20 comments:

  1. I love this post! I am so glad there is someone else out there like me who has not recovered from pregnancy brain yet! The cake balls look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what the heck are "cake balls"... I'm all curious now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ghetto Martha. Pfft. I think not. It takes some real ingenuity to think outside of the cake box and turn disaster to deliciousness. And I don't know what you're looking at because the cake balls I'm seeing don't say ghetto at all. They say eat me. And who am I to disobey? I may need to make some of my own now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. at least we wont have to buy a tree this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved this! I have corners of my home I'd be afraid to reveal, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can so identify. Right now I have rice scattered all over my kitchen floor from this evening's dinner. I don't really have the energy to clean it up. I think the cake balls look good and all that matters is that they tasted good. It's hard juggling multiple activities at the same time. You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome post. I think we are kindred spirits. I read the message you left on my blog and I have to confess that Jaycee is not my real name. I'm trying to be a little anonymous because I am a teacher. But I love the name. However, my mom's name was Rebecca and my dad's name is Stanley. Is that enough weirdness?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh...I love ya!

    I think I could have written that post :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol...this was really funny. i can't believe you had the nerve to take pictures, but really, they weren't even that bad!!! and i might have eaten a cake ball for breakfast this morning. i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those cake balls are so yummy! I made some a few months ago. BTW...I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post! Welcome to motherhood. Have you ever read that poem called "rocking my babies" (i think). It talks about how everything will wait. I used to keep my house like a museum.....no more. It is way to stressful and we must play! I gotta know the scoop on the cake balls...YUMMY! I thinka me gonna follow you if that is okey dokie with you. Thanks for visiting me and your comment on my photo. I might call your blog, "the Stanley Clanley" TEE! HEE!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahaha!!!!!!!!!
    love this post!

    Messy house = good mommy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those cake balls look good to me! Much better than I could have done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lord have sweet mercy (is that BooMama or BigMama? Boo, I think..). I cannot EVEN blame pregnancy brain, seeing as how my boy is NINE. BUT.. I am IN the middle of menopause (do the math; yes, I am an older mom), so I can assure yuou that it's the same thing if not worse. And so I thank you.. for helping me to realize that I am not the only mom out there who doesn't have it all perfect 24/7. Bless you, bless you... and your cake balls are gorgeous! Thanks for stopping by my blog this week for I Heart Faces.. and I'm glad I came here, because I sho' nuff did need it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am hoping over from I heart faces and had to tell you I love, love, love this post! So nice to know that I am not alone! In fact, I took pictures today for a post later about keeping it real! Thanks for making me feel normal!
    Krystal in TX

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG those look yummy, but I've never had cake balls before. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog at I <3 Faces this week. Your comments are sweet.

    Allyson

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok, I know this is an older post, but I just HAD to comment... I think that those pictures of your house are actually of MINE! Our christmas tree is TOTALLY STILL in our backyard!!! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm, I am so sad to say that my kitchen table looks like that 6 out of 7 days a week!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...