Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Little Bit of This and a Little Bit of That

I mean, do you really expect any less than random from my blog posts?

My home church (I say "home church" because I find things are confusing between my downtown church and my suburban church . . . so for all matters of this blog, home church = suburban church) has this great ministry called "Praise Aerobics." And yes, it's just as dorky as it sounds. I mean, we do sweet hip hop dance moves that would bring my kiddos to tears, they would be laughing so hard. As a matter of fact, I myself always laughed at the thought of a bunch of nerdy moms doing aerobics to the remixed "Our God is an Awesome God." But then I joined them. Because this is what I usually do when it comes to trends: Resist, and then jump on the bandwagon once it's too late and it's no longer cool (exhibit A - Ugg boots).

However, Praise Aerobics has become one of my favorite times of the week. Except when Sara teaches. Rumor has it that she makes us do Suicides. I am NOT on my high school soccer team people. This body is no longer cut out for suicides (or maybe it never was). Today, there was a point when I distinctly heard my thighs telling my butt "oh un-uh." And I'm pretty sure it is not going to feel any better tomorrow. (ps - if Sara is reading this: I jest. I appreciate you kicking my butt into some semblance of order).

Anyhow, here's the real reason for this post: One Church. A friend of ours is starting a new church and they currently meet just once a month on Monday nights. Which is PERFECT for us since we run children's church on Sunday mornings at Metro Kidz and don't get to soak in church teaching and worship for ourselves very often. This month, the pastor taught about how Jesus was the fulfillment of this passage in Isaiah:
"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners."
And he brought me to tears as he wondered what it would look like if we, as a church, were ACTUALLY good news to the poor, brokenhearted, and prisoners. What if God was whispering in Sabo's and Sincere's ears that He had GOOD NEWS - and that WE were the embodiment of that good news?

The goal of Jimmy's church is to free up its members to be the Good News of Christ to those who need it most. How can this happen? I mean, shouldn't that be the goal of every church? Yes, yes it should. But it seems like too often we get caught up in budgets and buildings and even Bible studies that we just plumb forget about BEING THE GOOD NEWS. Christ says, plain as day, that He came to bring Good News to the poor. To the children starving in India. To the women with AIDS in Africa. To the girls being sold into slavery right here in Atlanta. To the fatherless kids in our own neighborhoods. If Jimmy's church can help its members become secure in the knowledge that CHRIST IS ENOUGH, then that frees them up to live out the Good News that is Christ's death and resurrection. What a beautiful truth!

I'll tell you what, there were several times that I just wanted to stand up and shout AMEN. And then I remembered that we weren't in our church downtown. And people might think I was weird. And I don't want to let THAT cat out of the bag just yet.

So I want to encourage you (and me. especially me.) to be GOOD NEWS to all those who we encounter this week. Because I'm pretty sure it could change the world. For real.

13 comments:

  1. I think so many times we get caught up in "doing church" rather than "being" the church to people who are in need.

    It's a radical concept. And one I hope more and more churches embrace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true indeed. Why is it that we are often worried about what others will think when we stand up and shout AMEN!?

    I will try my very best to speek good news to everyone I encounter this week. Thank you for that -- and thanks for stopping by my blog again. I know I have told you before but you are a true inspiration!

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your posts are always so uplifting. I just love how very honest you are. And always so bright and shiny. My own personal daily dose of Good news. Rock on in your weirdness girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was GREAT and VERY thought provoking! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you had a serious point, but I'm still stuck on Praise Aerobics!!! That's the funniest mental image I've had all week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true. Sounds like a great church... well both or all of them do. The aerobics would be fun. And the new church sounds exactly like what church should be!

    :)
    ~Tabitha~

    freshmommyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the new church idea. It is so easy to be inward focused rather than outward...

    ReplyDelete
  8. C is just a bit over 8 months. She started flopping and crawling about a month ago and just now put it all together.

    When we lived in Boston, our church was very much about BEING the church and not going to church--we were in the community more than in our building. We're working with our new church to get them more out in the community. I'm going to look up your group right now to see if it is something we can volunteer with as a group!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post! Jubilee! The Gospel is good news and thank you for reminding me to share it even this morning with the kids knocking at my door.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, Becca! I couldn't find your email address, but I got your message on our festive frills blog and wanted to contact you. I did open an etsy shop just last week! So come check us out if you want! http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7165224

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post.Thanks for sharing (and for the sweet comment on my blog)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...