Friday, May 22, 2009

And Then They Sang "I Believe I Can Fly"

I know you were all sorely disappointed that I did not post a tour of my dining room on Friday. I was fully planning on posting one; however, more important and pressing issues occupied my time. For realz. I went to my kiddos' elementary school graduation, and then spent the evening scrapbooking with my college roommate. Because we are wild and crazy like that.

Graduation was a delight. I was so proud of my kiddos, and loved seeing them all dressed up in their Sunday best. Except it's not their "Sunday best" because they hang out with me on Sundays, and that is NOT what they wear.

Also, I do not recall my elementary school graduation being such a long and boring delightful production.

The event took place in the school gym. Which I now like to affectionately refer to as 'the sauna.' I might have lost several pounds because I sweat so much; which I quickly remedied by eating large amounts of ice cream and chick-fil-a.

Look at this cute little kindergarten graduate. Oh how I love her.

And I also love that she loves Jayci.

Seeing the kids graduate was interesting to say the least. The whole production left me with mixed emotions. I feel like elementary school carries some level of safety for my kids, an innocence that I'm terrified they will lose when they get to middle school. Because in the 'hood,' middle school aged kids are often parents, prison inmates, gang members and more. And not only are my kids graduating and moving on to middle school, but their housing project is also being shut down this summer. This means that they are moving all over Atlanta. So in a way, this day marked the end of a time where they are all together, easy to minister to, cocooned in the safety net of elementary school and younger children.

So as our kids get ready for a summer filled with change: switching schools and homes, leaving old friends and making new ones . . . pray for them! Because honestly? I'm just not even sure what else to do. Besides loving them and trying to keep up with them and continue ministry to them in new and creative ways. All I can do is pray that God will use all of that, multiplying our efforts and reaping a harvest in their hearts.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh... those pictures of those girls together just makes me want to tear up... how the family of Christ is so diverse... but all family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i love these pictures, too! so sweet--you can see the joy, excitement and love in her face!

    Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet pictures but sadness that these kids will have their lives disrupted as they have to move. Praying.. that God's will is done, and that for each of these children, His plan exceeds our dreams by leaps and bounds. Praying that they all end up in places that allow them to see Him and to grow and thrive. And praying that you'll be able to stay invested in them.. they need the God, whose hands and feet you are, so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such joy captured in these photos. I love the contrast of the different skins and how perfect they look together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those photos are gorgeous! What beautiful children! I'm sure you have ministered to those kids and will definitely leave a lasting impression on some of them! They are so sweet, you just want to keep them that way forever!

    Enjoy your day! {we have really been relaxing...again! but nice to have nowhere to be for a day!}

    ReplyDelete
  6. What absolutely beautiful pictures!!!!! What you and your hubby do is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right about the innocence of childhood falling behind as they approach Junior High! I think it is especially hard in our cities for out babies to remain innocent and child like! There is just SO much tragedy all around!

    Your little graduate looks SO adorable. Especially holding the baby! How sweet is that?

    I think you should try the silouette picture! Come on, it is not as hard as it sounds. If I can do it, so can you : ). Really!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a wonderful heart!

    Donna
    Our blog: Double Happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    This post made me want to cry. . .I used to teach kindergarten before I had my daughter, and I miss the kiddos so much! Those pictures remind me of some of the pictures I have of my (former, but always mine!) students.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just wanted to let you know that you won the Kimba giveaway on Everything Etsy! Yay! Email me please...congrats!

    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...