Monday, May 11, 2009

Wonderful Tonight

I'm a little behind on my posts/updates. I have a feeling you are just devastated about that. Anyhow, last weekend, Adam and I went to prom. That's right, prom. We were chaperones, which makes us really cool, especially in the eyes of the kids who were there. And I say kids because most of them looked like they were probably 10.

The interesting (or not interesting at all depending on how you look at it) thing about the whole night is that Adam and I have been to prom together before as a couple, seven years ago, in our senior year of high school.

I remember that night so clearly. Adam picked me up in a vintage car (don't ask me what kind of car it was. All I know is it was a lovely shade of turquoise). Parents snapped hundreds, nay thousands, of pictures in ninety degree heat. Once we sufficiently sweat off all our makeup and my updo was slightly frizzy, we headed off for a nice dinner of Italian food. Which I couldn't fully enjoy because my beaded red dress was entirely too snug. Then we danced the night away. Or to clarify, Adam danced and I laughed at his shenanigans.

Here we are on that magical night in 2002. (I looked for a more classic "prom pose" because trust me I have plenty of those pictures. But I was too lazy to look very hard and this was the first picture I could find.)


For some inexplicable reason I felt nervous getting ready for Prom 2009. Should I wear a fully beaded dress? How should I do my hair? I considered a french twist with several tendrils left loose. But that felt a little too 2002.

As it turns out, I should have worn a low side ponytail to fit in with the rest of the prom-goers. Then I would have been virtually indistinguishable from the high schoolers. Oh except that I have given birth and my body will never be the same.

This time around around wasn't all that different. Well besides the fact that am thirty pounds heavier and no longer worry if my dress is too tight, so I totally enjoyed my italian dinner. Oh and that I didn't know any of the songs they were playing. And my husband threw ice at couples who were getting too inappropriate in an effort to "cool them off." But the whole Adam dancing the night away while I roll my eyes and laugh? That part was totally the same.

And it also turns out that our parents didn't want to throw a picture party and take photos of us in hundreds of different poses. So this is all we got. After prom. After walking about a mile in the rain because we didn't have a limo to pick us up this time.

ps - someone really should have told me to tuck in my arm fat. Or they could have advised against the strapless dress which was entirely too snug. That's just embarrassing.

20 comments:

  1. Girl - you've just gotten better with age..

    & I wouldnt call that fat.. I'd just tell everyone its boobage spilling over... that makes everyone jealous when you have an amble bossom - hehe!!!!

    Anyways - you both look great - in the past & today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I loved the before and now pictures. Loved loved loved them. And dang girl, you can fill out a strapless dress! I cannot wear them without ample amounts of body tape. To keep it up. Not to keep anything from popping out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too funny! I didn't notice any fat spillage. You looked great. How fun you got to relive your prom experience with the same date!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow yall look SO young and you look GORGEOUS now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl..... how fun!!!! How many people get to go to prom twice???? haha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As my Aunt Melba would say, "Girrrl, Be kaaaaahnd to yuh-self!"

    You look simply gorgeous and I think you're just getting better with age. I think my favorite observation was that you no longer worry if the dress is too tight and that you enjoyed your dinner. Ah, the wisdom that can only come with age :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the past and present pics! Isn't it fun to look back in retrospect. If you would have known then that you would have the same guy and a baby you so totally would have ate the entire Italian plate of food back then! or at least I would have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Once we sufficiently sweat off all our makeup"

    "we"...umm...I was wearing waterproof makeup for the occasion...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look more beautiful now than you did seven years ago...if that's even possible. And I agree with Rebecca Jo...that's not fat, sweetie. That is most definitely ample boobage...which I am totally jealous of : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are even prettier now : ). Much, much prettier. I don't even see the teeniest tiny bit of fat. It's your imagination : ). How fun! I know you had wonderful time. What a great tip about the ice. Very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh hush it you crazy girl - you are looking FINE at prom 09!!

    you are a hoot and i enjoy you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is the best post. I love it and am so happy that you two have shared so many life experiences!

    We should get the gals together for a swing date. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look great! How neat that you got to go to prom again:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMGosh.. Could ya'll BE any CUTER? What an adorable story... Your hubby looks like such a BABY in the prom picture... CUTE CUTE CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is hysterical! I never went to prom, and while I am not have a Pretty in Pink moment, wondering what it is I am missing in life, I do wonder at times what the experience would have been like. Maybe I will have to chaperone one some day to find out... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You guys look even cuter together now then you did in high school! How fun to get to go to prom twice!!! I never got to go once! (I was home-schooled....)

    Yah, and I wouldn't call that fat spillage! I'd call that Boob spillage and be proud of it! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great posting! I love that kind of stuff. I am a teacher, so I've been to many proms - though I didn't know my husband in high school. We have been to prom since he is also a teacher! Ha!

    By the way, you are so good about commenting on everyone's i heart faces photos. It is so nice of you, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What are you talking about? You look fantastic! Wow... prom again? What would that be like.

    I also married my highschool sweetheart. We went to prom together as well. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to post those pictures online, but I'm afraid the big poofy sleeves and the huge bow wouldn't fit on my blog template. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You both still look so young - what a fun trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aw, look how young you two look! I love it! Love the recent picture, too cute!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...