Friday, June 5, 2009

Tales from the Camp

*Please note that names have been changed to protect the innocent identities

One sunny day at Camp Grace, our fearless leader, let’s call him Pastor Steed, was busying himself with the business of the day. It was right in the middle of his morning game of Ticket to Ride that he heard it, a knock on the door that held a familiar insistence. This insistence could only mean one thing: discipline problems. Pastor Steed knew that since the problem had made it this far up the chain, it had to be serious. With a loud sigh, he went outside to deal with the boy, let’s call him Los.

Los was smaller than Pastor Steed anticipated, with deep brown eyes and sullen scowl on his face. The counselor in charge explained that Los was being insolent and fighting over everything, unwilling to listen, obey, or to participate in any activities. Los kept his face screwed into a scowl, with his arms crossed tightly across his small chest, throughout Pastor Steed’s talk with him about respect, obedience and so on and so forth. Finally, in exasperation, Pastor Steed told Los how rude it was to refuse to respond when adults were addressing them. Los shook his head slightly and uncrossed his arms. Pastor Steed felt a glimmer of hope and triumph; clearly he had broken through to this little boy.

“What do you have to say right now, Los?” Pastor Steed gently yet firmly prompted the young boy.

Los responded, with a look of obvious disgust: “Um, when is the last time you brushed your teeth?”

It is tender, sweet moments like this that make all of our hard work worthwhile.

6 comments:

  1. I'm a friend of CPQ's.

    I loved this story! Thanks for the laugh!

    When I was little I was highly sensitive to smells (still am) and I didn't know the phrase "bad breath." I used to embarrass my mom by telling people they had "strange mouth."

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps~are you doing fix-it friday??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahhha, I would've had a hard time not laughing out LOUD if I were there!!!!

    :)
    ~Tabitha

    Ps, hope you join in on Sunday Citar tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your blog today.
    I am still finding my way around blogland....
    I always love making new friends..

    I am posting about Disney so hope you will stop by.
    Each comment enters you for the June giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh. I love that : ).
    Camp is the BEST! Hope it is a very wonderful time for you and the kids!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...