Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I Made You . . .

As I have already mentioned, this is the last week of camp. Mixed emotions run through me at the thought of camp drawing to a close for the year. I am tired and ready for camp to be over on one hand; on the other hand, however, I wish I could just stay at camp all year and hang out with these kids all the time. And only adding to the inner-turmoil is the fact that this is the most interesting week of kids I have ever experienced at camp. Normally we have a lot of behavior problems. We see kids who are just flat-MAD: at life, at everyone, and everything (usually with good reason). They shut down when confronted, cry and scream when they get in trouble, and generally lack the emotional and social resources that kids growing up in a stable environment would possess.

This week, however, we have an unusually high number of special needs kids. Kids who come from the same background that most of our kiddos come from, but who have been physically affected by their environment. One little boy has brain damage because he was so severely abused as a child. Another set of brothers suffer from seizures and other medical issues as a result of their mother’s drug use. Several of our kids come from a homeless shelter, and spent the entire night last night worrying and crying that they needed to go “home.” And we have several more kids who are obviously mentally handicapped in some way. The truth is that even if their handicap is not a direct result of their environment, most of them are not receiving the medical support and intervention their need demands.

Honestly, my heart seems softer to the “bad” kids than to these kids. They are hard to deal with, difficult to reach, impossible to reason with, and they make me feel as though the situation is hopeless. Drugs, violence, poverty, welfare, lack of healthcare . . . The cycle never stops, and these kids are the victims of a tragedy that is neither acknowledged nor fought against.

When I find myself praying to God, asking “why don’t You do something?” I hear a gentle whisper respond, “I did do something. I made you.”

11 comments:

  1. Chills Becca. And so very true.

    You are an amazing rock of a woman. And those children are so richly blessed because of your heart for them.

    When I grow up I want to be more like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a statement and oh so true! You are making an everlasting difference in each one of these kids lives.

    I wish they didn't have to go back to the situations they came from...wouldn't it be nice to be able to take them all in and instantly make their lives better. I'm praying for each one of those children!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becca, your quote at the end is the essence of who you are. A woman who has laid it all down, given it all over.. and you fully understand that He made YOU to be His hands and feet here on earth. I just love coming here, but honestly? I wish MY place was more like this one. (and if wishes were horses, then beggars would ride...). You make me want to be better...
    And I am praying for God's hand to be on these special kids. I cannot imagine being trapped in their bodies, in such need, with so little help. May God shatter my heart so that He can put it back together to be more like yours...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true- He did make you! Embrace it Becca! And quite possibly He made you for this- to be in the kids lives and to shine His light. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness... that last line just instantly made me tear up...

    so powerful..

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are no adequate words Becca! What a ministry you all have :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. tears to my eyes (not surprising i know:) ) I love you becca and i love your heart, i miss hearing it and seeing it in person.
    i am praying for you sooo much!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh. He did and we are called to do just what you are doing - being the hands and feet of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Becca, thanks for commenting on my blog. I am very glad to be introduced to yours. Thank you for the great reminder/exhortation of what God has called us too. I too, am looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my... Blessings on you for serving God with these kids! BOTH kinds (special needs and the "bad" kids) are a challenging and you're right, sometimes it's definitely easier to deal with a kid that you've got an innate compassion for. You're walking in grace this week. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...