Sunday, July 5, 2009

Patriotic . . . Sort of

As it turns out, I am not all that patriotic. I didn't take a single picture of my little baby girl in her cute fourth of July outfit. And let's be honest, the only reason she even HAS a cute outfit for the fourth is that her grandma bought it for her. Now it may have something to do with the fact that I am NOT, in fact, American. That's right, I'm Canadian - complete with a green card. But I LIVE in America. So basically, I'm nationality-confused.

Anyhow, since I don't have any pictures to share from the fourth, I was not sure I could participate in this week's I Heart Faces. However, I felt the need to share a little bit more about another side of our country. One which needs much prayer and healing.

These kids are AMERICAN. They were born in raised in America's cities, not in some slum in Africa. Yet, many of them won't be eating three meals today. They celebrated the fourth of July to the tune of gunshots being fired overhead.
Some of them are homeless.
Some of them have fathers in "the j word" who are "very bad men." They have nightmares and wake up screaming in the middle of the night.
Some of them have big toothless grins and killer robot-dance moves, despite abandonment and hurt.
Some of them have sisters with different fathers, all of whom are in prison.
But regardless of who they are and what they suffer, these are America's children. Let's take some time today to think about the country we live in, and the others who live here with us. And pray. Please people, pray.

*Oh and visit I Heart Faces for more patriotic pictures and stories!
*PS - Please check back tomorrow for an EXTRA special post featuring our movie debut . . . oh and a giveaway (my first ever!) :-)

27 comments:

  1. Great 4th of July pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those pictures and thanks for the reminder!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Often overlooked, fellow citizens the same....

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing your heart. it really gives me something to think about as i sit here with a full tummy and a comfy home. bless you this week and thanks again for the post:O)

    my photos are posted now, too. feel free to come on over for a visit anytime :O).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your posts about the kiddos you & Adam work with. Y'all are such a blessing in their lives! Hope Jayci had a great first 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for encouraging us all to pray...and to remember these little ones. It is a blessing to live in this country but an even greater one to know the One who blesses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, gorgeous pictures Becca! Secondly, what a great reminder that America is great, but not perfect and we need to never stop working towards making it a better home for everyone. Beautiful faces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those children Becca! I love their precious smiles. I love their sparkling eyes. And most of all, I love knowing that someday, because we do live in a great nation, they will be able to overcome the trauma of their childhood and go on the be wonderful human beings who make the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a moving post! Thanks for sharing that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos! You are making my hormonal self cry, but this is a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Posts like this break my heart expecially when kids are involved... but it is always great to be reminded that even in America there is still hunger and poverty....

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post broke my heart. Thanks for this Becca. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea you were Canadian! How fun! Happy belated Canadian day :)

    Love those pics, too

    ReplyDelete
  14. Indeed a shame that any kids--American or not--are in those situations.

    Great pictures as usual Becca. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pictures! I love you using them as a voice for those little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great reminder to keep these and other children in my prayers (especially those with parents in jail). You have some great pictures here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, then. I would say that's pretty much "America, the Beautiful". And.. "love your neighbor" and "good Samaritan" and pretty much every other "THIS is who we need to be" homily out there. It's what my dad fought for in WWII.. it's what we're fighting for now. Freedom. Dignity. Grace. LOVE. In the end, it's all about love, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos and a wonderful reminder of what America is about. Freedom and helping others.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I pray all the time. Thanks for the reminder and happy belated 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post! And hey, you can still take pictures of your baby in her 4th of July outfit :).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Here come the tears. Very moving and very true! Truly the fatherless that we are called to!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i am glad that God has brought you and yours in to the lives of these presious small ones. He is using you more than you can ever know. you do realize this, but it is still greater than us. keep up the great job on being "God's hands" the blessings come down as the prayers go up.
    what a great way to show america

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful post and a great reminder that there is much to do in our own country too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for your comment, and your touching post! Our girls were abandoned and spent their first 3 years in an orphanage, they are such a joy, along with our boys. Touching post!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I found your blog from your recent post on 20sb. I love this post and agree that it is the epitome of patriotic. What you are doing is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...