Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Things I Hope to Never Forget

Wednesdays are my favorite days at camp. Why? Because Wednesday nights we share the gospel story with the kiddos. And let me just remind you, that is what this whole thing is all about. For real.

Seeing lives changed, kids transformed: it never gets old. No matter how many weeks, how many years, I do this – I inevitably find myself with tears pooling in my eyes when I see the light come on in theirs. What? It's not like I'm emotional or anything.

Last night I walked through our "Cross Walk" presentation with Jayci before bed. And I was blown away anew by hearing the message of salvation in such a fresh way.

The walk starts just as dusk falls. It meanders through the woods beside the lake, on a dirt path lit by torches. Along the way the children encounter Pilate, get to hold and feel some of the "tools" of the crucifixion, see Jesus being beaten (or "whooped" as they describe it later)and hung on the cross, and then finally they visit the "empty tomb" and hear Mary Magdalene describe how she felt when she realized her Savior was alive. Not only are the kids moved, but I was moved too. Realizing anew how great his sacrifice was, and recognizing my own first joy in Mary's story . . . it was a powerful way to reconnect with my Savior under the stars.

And let me just tell you, there are going to some more really cool kiddos in heaven one day as a result of last night. There were LOTS of kids who made the decision to accept Christ.

One of my favorite little kiddos this week described his experience to me by saying "it feels like a big weight has been lifted off me." Wow. I dont think I even have anything to add to that. Hallelujah and Amen.

12 comments:

  1. That is so wonderful. I love camp, and I'm missing it so much right now...enjoy every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an awesome experience you have to be with those kids and to watch them experience God in such a real way! How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I just found your blog and that sounds amazing! It is so great that you are willing to serve them! I cannot imagine how amazing it must be to see that, even after you have already seen it. I just cannot imagine what He went through, for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!!! What an awesome thing for a kiddo to say :) You guys are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like such an amazing experience! And what an amazing way to impact the lives of the kids you work with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome experience to be a part of!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a weight to be lifted off!! Everything that you and Adam do is amazing! Great work and ministering!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is soooo great! That made me want to be there. What an awesome experience!!!! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh. That is just the BEST! Baptisms, and just hearing people giving it up to God are my favorite things in the world. Last year, at the Lighthouse retreat, several folks were baptized in the ocean. The OCEAN. No tellin' how many sins have been washed away in that water... my salty tears dropped down into it and mixed in, waiting to wash the next person. Thank you, Jesus.. You are my King!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So great. I can't wait to meet them one day!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...