Sunday, August 23, 2009

Nostalgia: Wistful Desire

For as long as I can remember, I have loved the English language. The fact that certain words can take you to new and exciting places. Or can exactly describe a feeling deep within your heart. I mean, I can't always EXACTLY describe what I mean without rambling on for several paragraphs, but apparently some people can.

Despite the undeniable power of language, sometimes pictures alone have an uncanny ability to transport and even transform us. To take us back. To help us remember. Or to give us hope. Or to take us to a place we have never been, and yet long to go.

This week's theme at I Heart Faces is nostalgia. The dictionary defines it as a "a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time."

And that my friends, describes exactly what I felt the minute I saw this picture. A pang of longing for these kids. For the innocence of my own youth: an innocence they will probably never themselves experience. I look at each of their faces, some solemn and steadfast, others with shy smiles or hidden eyes. And for each of them I yearn for a happiness I can only hope they might have known, or one day will know.
Not to mention that it somehow manages to perfectly juxtapose the past and the present. To put "Cowboy" (for realz, that's the only name we knew him by) right next to Obama. Kids from the city right smack-dab in the middle of farm life . . . It's a beautiful way for them to learn and grow. And a beautiful place for change to start.

For more nostalgic fun, visit I Heart Faces!

35 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. Love teh story of nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another one that made me cry. Oh I can feel it to. What a great moment captured. Thank you for sharing this very real moment. Loved the mixed emotions and expressions, beautiful boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely beautiful. i can really tell that this photo is packed with emotion. i really love your edit too. just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your interpretation of nostalgia is just incrdible, both verbally and visually - Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love what you're doing.. and a great shot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful picture, love the story...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great words and photo - editing is beatiful on this one and so appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love it! What did you do to edit it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey girl! Sorry I haven't been by lately. I have been such a slacker as far as blogging is concerned.

    As for your photo and your sentiments...Perfect!! Not only are these kids lucky to have people like you mentoring them but you are so lucky to get to experience real moments like these - I think it gives you an especially unique view on life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your love for these kids is so clearly evident and I appreciate how you capture their beauty in so many of your photos. This one is special indeed...to see kids exposed to things they would otherwise not see or experience on their own. These are memories I pray they will look back on and treasure as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've posted this picture before haven't you? If I'm not mistaken...

    Loved it then. Love it still. And the words all the more so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is a great way for them to learn! those are some sweet faces on that fence :) thanks for sharing your story.

    my photo is posted, too. feel free to come on over and visit anytime :O).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved this picture from a previous post of yours! It is amazing! Loved it then, love it now! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your entry gave me chills. What a truly beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These kids have experienced more in their short lives than we do in an entire life. I love the hope that this picture promises.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This picture really speaks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. neat neat neat. I loved it, Becca! Thanks, as always, for sharing about your kiddos

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is so sweet, I just love the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The editing is soooo perfect for this shot!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your posts so much. Some times I come home from the city discouraged. I was last night. And then I look at this Becca! And I feel reviatalized. There is much to be done, but change can happen. It is happening. Sometimes it is nice to see a hopeful perspective. Love it : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful picture. Really, truly. Thank you for sharing!
    Thanks for the comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I saw this photo the other day and just had to stare at it for the longest time. It is a fantastic photo and it goes deeper than just what the eye sees. But I didn't comment because I was in a hurry. Today I see your comment on my blog, stopped over to see who it was and what a wonderful surprise to see that it was the one who took this great shot. I had to stare again. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. One of the best of the week if you ask me! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...