Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Measuring Up: By Whose Standards?

Every morning, I roll out of bed reluctantly. My eyes blur with sleep and confusion, the sound of Jayci's squeals dance in my ears. I fumble around to find her bottle, add water, shake, and plop down into the soft brown rocker, worn and molded perfectly to our form, to feed it to her. After laying her back down for another hour or so of (blessed!) sleep, I head back to my room for quiet time and a few minutes to get "ready" for the day. [This process used to include many more steps, such as makeup, shower, hair etc. Now I basically brush my teeth, apply deodorant, and go on my merry (albeit messy and unkempt) way.]

But one thing I never forget to grab before I leave: my measuring stick. Because without it, I simply couldn't make it through the day. How could I measure if her house is cleaner than mine (we all know it is). If our neighbors have prettier landscaping. If she's a better, more patient mom than me (probably). If her daughter behaves more perfectly. If her hair is smoother/curlier/bouncier/straighter. If her clothes are cuter or her body more toned (absolutely). If her husband is more romantic. If her quiet times are more diligent . . .

This morning was no different than the last. I hopped staggered out of bed and hurried to get ready in time for my morning woman's Bible study (we're doing Beth Moore's Esther study). And y'all, this particular morning? Beth might or might not have grabbed my measuring stick and hit me flat over the head with it.

Because she reminded me of a crucial truth, one which I often forget: our measurements are taken on the cross. Not at the grocery store comparing my ice cream with her organic fruits and veggies. Not in the gym or the church nursery. Not in my living room watching the rail-thin actresses on TV. Not even downtown as moms offer their seven month olds grape soda and chewing gum.

At the cross. Period. End of story.

I am trying hard this week to focus on remembering and measuring myself by the cross. Join me will you? Because I think that if all of us as woman stopped comparing ourselves to one another and started measuring ourselves by the cross of Christ, we would be FREED UP to be the woman God intended us to be all along!

22 comments:

  1. so true Becca; thanks for the reminder. And your morning "get ready" routine sounds exactly like mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this- we're all effected by our measuring sticks... and the truth you shared is just what I needed to be reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Becca. I just read something similar on another blog I follow. It is so nice to hear the reminder. I also need a huge stick to smack me up side the head.You continue to inspire.
    Blessings friend,

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful reminder because I know we all do this on a daily basis. Thanks Becca!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becca I LOVE this. what an amazing (and true) post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE YOU!!!! Thank yu so much for sharing your heart and encouraging me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becca, this is my favorite post of the day. By far. So true and so well-written. Love it. And love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is that weird? That I just said I love you? Because I didn't mean it in a blog stalker sort of way. You know. Just in a "hey, we have more in common than a love of cheese and that's awesome" sort of way.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. well said becca. i think we can all use this reminder a lot of the time. i know i'm so guilty of using my "measuring stick" far too often..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the reminder - I think I use the stick on myself so much more often than others, but either way, one of us is getting beat up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This just knocked me right off my feet into a praying position! All day I have been measuring up myself and why? For what? I should do that bible study. I haven't done a devotional in months. And I need to. I really, really do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this yesterday and have been chewing on it ever since. I need to break my measuring stick. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. will you remind me every morning? (better yet all day long? - k, thought it was a long shot) :)
    love you and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was a great post and a wonderful reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, so Beth Moore Bible Studies I would say are my favorite of all time, but she hits me in the head all the time too! What is up with that? God is using her is crazy ways to reach the ladies of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so with you on the Esther study. It is a GREAT book and Beth Moore explains it and challenges us so much through it. Thanks for sharing your take on it! I always need this reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Girl. I read this when you first posted it and have thought about it all week. No truer words have ever been written. I heart you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, yes, you put it just right! This is a great nugget to make with me into the new week. I came over on givingupperfect's recommendation and I am so glad that I did. Seems like all us mom's are so busy imagining that everyone else is doing it better than us, wouldn't it be great to have a "share our mess" linky fest where we all share pictures of our utterly untidy and unperfect houses? Hmm, I think I just gave myself an idea - ok, off to photograph my laundry room! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me again, just wanted to let you know that your beautiful post inspired me. Here's my response, laundry pictures and all ;) http://thegypsymama.com/2009/10/04/the-sunday-night-blues/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this! Such a needed reminder. I always seem to find myself coming up short when I get caught up in the whole comparison thing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just beautiful thoughts! Loved the last sentence!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...