Monday, November 23, 2009

A Timely Reminder

I can't disclose details on here, in case there are prying eyes (hi Emma and Sarah), but I was making some Christmas gifts tonight, while Adam watched Blood Diamond on TV. For those of you who haven't seen the movie, it's about the civil war in Sierra Leone, focusing on conflict diamonds. It really is a heart-breaking move, and at times painful to watch. However, there's one scene that made me put down my work while tears welled up in my eyes. And no, it's not just because I'm an overly emotional person (although that probably had something to do with it).

The tears came when Solomon Vandy speaks to his son (Dia), who has been captured by rebel forces and forced to do terrible things (drugs, murder, and even turns on his own father and calls him a traitor). When Solomon and Danny (Leonardo DiCaprio) finally find the diamond they've been searching for, they turn around to discover Dia pointing a gun at their heads.

Listen to what Solomon says:
Dia, What are you doing? Dia! Look at me, look at me. What are you doing? You are Dia Vendy, of the proud Mende tribe. You are a good boy who loves soccer and school. Your mother loves you so much. She waits by the fire making plantains, and red palm oil stew with your sister N'Yanda and the new baby. The cows wait for you. And Babu, the wild dog who minds no one but you. I know they made you do bad things, but you are not a bad boy. I am your father who loves you. And you will come home with me and be my son again. 

Oh my word. What a beautiful picture of what God does for me! He knows every intimate detail of my life, every little piece of me. And even while I am still sinning, my heavenly Father looks me in the eyes, and reminds me time and time again who I am, that He is my FATHER and He LOVES me.

Don't we all need reminding sometimes? We get caught up in the world around us, believing that we are someone we're not. Believing that our worth is determined by how much stuff we have. By how great our job is, or how many people admire us. By how many friends we have, or how cute our hair looks.

And I'm not writing this because I think you need reminding nearly as much as I do. Because I desperately need my heavenly Father to be the ONLY one I am looking to for my identity. I am so easily swayed by the world's opinion of me, by Satan's lies about me. But the TRUTH that has, and will continue to, set me free remains that I am a child of a Father who loves me deeply. And even when I do bad things, I am NOT beyond redemption; rather, I am loved and cherished by a Father who knows me intimately, who knows every detail of my life, including what I've done and who I've been. And even knowing all that, He still tells me that I can come and be His daughter and that He loves me deeply.

In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.
-Eph 1:5-8

9 comments:

  1. Amazing!

    God can use a movie, a storyline, a screenplay.

    Yes, I can hear His heartcry in those words... so very true.

    I remember feeling that draw, even when I had deliberately made my decisions and decided that God was finished with me. That gentle reminder that there was NOWHERE I could go that He wouldn't come to find me.

    You are such a blessing - thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great message! I remember that movie but I never thought of it like that...;) It was a great excuse to stop making and start listening!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...... so much power in knowing that we're loved by the father in more ways than we could ever comprehend. Thank you so much for the reminder of his love, I needed this more than you know today!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow wow wow! i absolutely love this post. and that was my fave part of that movie. i want to re-write that section of dialogue and re-read it all day long every day! we are drawn to redemption (and confession) by the understanding of His limited grace!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that part of the movie too. And to know that our heavenly father loves us the same way...Amazing Love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what an awesome post. to think that we can get such a great reminder from something as simple as a movie line...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that scene in that movie. And I love the way you tell it! I just watched your video with Sadie sitting next to me and we're both missing you guys! Fun to hear your voice.
    Happy Thanksgiving, friend.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...