Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Quick List, hopefully

I say hopefully, because you know how I get once I start talking/writing. I'm liable never to stop.

1 - Adam thinks I should point out something about my little blue box post. See our pastor told us the story of how a little girl one time gave him a dollar, and he saved that dollar for years and years until he lost his wallet. When RayRay gave me my dollar, I might have spent it on diet coke pretty immediately. Don't judge. The blue box, however, I will treasure.

2 - My best friend Courtney and I took our kids to the Children's Museum in Atlanta this Tuesday. We felt very ambitious and savvy, taking our kids downtown for an afternoon outing. It was fun, albeit slightly chaotic (because every second tuesday is free-day at the museum). And afterwards? I was exhausted, reinforcing my belief that I should probably just stay at home with Jayci and remain un-ambitious in our activities.

3 - I cannot stop thinking about Haiti. I hate that we are so insulated and protected that I can go through my day without even worrying for one second about the fact that there are people dying, hurting, afraid . . . As a Christian, I MUST believe that those people are my neighbors, my brothers and sisters, the "least of these" in every way. And like I talked about earlier this week, I need to learn to give sacrificially. For us right now, that means giving financially. Want to give too? Here's a few ways you can be involved:
-Compassion International
-Hope for Haiti (a blogger who is doing raffles to raise money for Haiti relief)
-The Red Cross
All I know is that we need to rally to help those who are hurting, whether it's right here in Atlanta, or half-way across the World . . .

"the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners" (Isaiah 61:1)

7 comments:

  1. I want to go to the Children's Museum so badly...I'm contemplating stealing a kid so I can get in. And Jayci's tights are awesome. I wish I was two and could pull those off. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always thinking of others, aren't you, Becca! I too can not stop thinking about the devastation in Haiti. So very sad.
    Glad you guys had fun on your 'field trip'.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about Haiti. Like it actually hurts me to think about it. I feel physical pain in my heart. I am so sad for the people that are hurting. My heart breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to visit that museum this semester with Kai..and give to Haiti..thanks for the gentle rebuke!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cracks me up that you spent that dollar on a diet coke! you and my husband might be twins. i think he would sell me for a case of diet coke.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And it's only getting worse there. THAT's the kicker. I heard one person say that it will take at least a generation to recover from this. Not days, or weeks, months or even a few years. Generations will pass and the scars will remain. I think of the scared little children, and I can barely breathe.
    And so, we do what we can, and if we really want to obey Christ, we then do some more. Doing, right now, mostly means giving, and I'm OK with that in the absence of action.
    Meanwhile, back at the creek... would you want to meet at TELLUS in Cartersville sometime? I have a membership and can get 2 people in. They have a kids area that Jayci would love, and Adam (MY Adam, the BugHunter) actually does pretty well with small children. It could be fun. Think about it. (MUCH less hectic than the ATL...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm laughing that you spent your dollar - I made three bucks yesterday looking for things my kids had lost (i.e. didn't want to look for).

    I told them if I found it, they owed me a dollar. They paid up, and I was one happy woman. I'm headed to Starbucks on Tuesday - on them.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...