Friday, February 12, 2010

Links, Snow, and More Unrelated Stuff

It turns out my computer needs a completely new hard drive. Which means I wont get it back for another few days. Which is totally lame. But on the plus side, it allows me to spend a little time frolicking in the snow, which is currently holding the record for most snow we've had at one time since living here for 10+ years. When I lived in Canada, however, this would probably be considered a laughable dusting rather than an opportunity to bring our snowboards to a hill down the street. Not that my husband would do that or anything. Never.
Since I don't have my computer, I don't have Photoshop, which means I don't have any pictures (snow or otherwise) to share. However, I thought I'd share a little Fix-It Friday fun with all you dedicated readers who are still here after that last ridiculously random and pointless post. And also, since I don't have my usual Photoshop, here's a special tip for anyone looking for a good FREE photo editing program. You should try FotoFlexer. It's super-easy to use, AND the only one I found that has the ability to add layers, adjust curves etc (side note: it's probably not the only one, I might not have looked all that hard). You can even add texture like I did for this week's fix, and I'll show you how. Because I'm helpful like that.
*Ok now my little caveat is that I couldn't figure out a way to delete the texture from her face, which I would usually do when applying texture with photoshop. But just because I couldn't figure out how to do it does NOT necessarily mean it's not possible.

But if you do want to add a texture to the entire thing, here's how to do it.
1-Go to FotoFlexer and upload your picture.
2-In the basic tab, you can crop, adjust the brightness and contrast and saturation. For this picture, I brightened slightly, and upped the contrast a little. The sliders are super-easy to use.
3-Make changes to BW, sepia etc. You can even turn it into a painting, pop art and more.
4-Under the "beautify tab" I removed some wrinkles under the eyes using the dewrinkle feature. I also sharpened to bring out the eyes a little.
5-I then went to the "Geek" tab and clicked on curves and added a little "s-curve" (pick up the middle of the curve a little, then lift the part to the right above the curve and pull down the part to the left and below)
6-Finally, to add the texture, I went to the "layers" tab and clicked on add image. Upload the texture you want to use (or you can find one on the web by clicking that handy little button) Then you're going to want to adjust the opacity until it looks right. Then you can merge them in order to make any more edits. And then VOILA, a texturized image. Be sure to let me know if you can figure out a way to get that texture off the face.

And just for fun, here's a BW version I made using FotoFlexer.
For those of you who asked, and DO have Photoshop, I'll share how to do textures with Photoshop sometime soon!

4 comments:

  1. Hope you get your computer back soon.

    Incidently,because of the snow, it took my son and his wife two hours to get out of Atlanta this afternoon.

    Canadians would really get a laugh out of that.

    Sweet dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this! I'm totally going to use this site to learn how to edit my photos. Helpful hints welcome at any time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how it feels to be without your computer {or internet, as is my case!} I hate it for you! Luckily I have limited acess, meaning only when my husband is home and I can hook his phone to the laptop. With that said, I LOVE the new blog layout. I don't really know how "new" it is, so forgive me. Anywho. I hope you and your family are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my. The black and white one is pure perfection. And you can add textures like nobody's business Becca! I just adore you.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...