Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Tech-Fast

Remember how I did the Esther study at a wonderful church (which I dont attend) last season? Well this spring we're doing a study of the book, Scouting the Divine, which you may or may not remember me writing about here (ok I know, probably not, but whatever).

Anyways, this week our homework included picking a spiritual discipline to focus on and practice throughout the week. Because we all know I'm not so good at the self-discipline thing, I thought I should actually do my homework for once. I'm somewhat of a slacker. Shocking, I know.

One of my sweet friends in the study mentioned that she should probably fast from the internet, and I felt a little tug on my heart. Don't worry, I quickly squelched it down. But since then, I haven't been able to get it off my mind. I feel like God is calling me to take one day a week to turn it off. Unplug. Disconnect in order to more fully connect with Him. Because clearly, I need it. So this Friday, I'm going to start what I've deemed my 'tech-fast.' It's kind of like breakfast. But without the yummy. Because did I mention that I'm going to fast from diet coke on this day too? It's true. Sad, but true.

I realize that this might mean I have to take some extra time in the evenings and weekends to get all my work done for the week. But that's ok. Because no television or internet or email will mean more quality time with my hubby and my daughter and my Savior.
One more thing, and I'm feeling a little insecure and vulnerable about this part. But I thought I'd go ahead and make a little button in case anyone wants to join me in my little tech-fast. How long it lasts or what it looks like is totally up to you. Let me know if you want to do it, and I will be praying for every single one of you sweet friends that you will be able to experience God in new and deeper ways with every minute you spend in obedience and connection with Him.

*side note: I realize now that it's weird, but the button has tie-dye because at first I was calling it a techni-fast . . . which reminded me of techni-color . . . but now it's not called that anymore, so I just want you to think that I'm a really cool hippie, ok?

9 comments:

  1. Oh bless your heart. Diet Coke and the internet in the same day. It will take you all week to recover from the headache because of the Diet Coke lack :)

    I think you're doing an awesome thing though! I always stress when I can't get online-I get so behind and worry I'll never catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!!! I'm in :) I think everyone could afford to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becca - I am right there with you with the "Tech Fast". I have given up Facebook for the entire month of February. I realized I was spending more hours on Facebook then I was doing my quiet time and spending time in prayer and it was just plain sad. Praying for you during this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So here lately (well if lately = the past 2 years) I have felt like I give waaaaaaaay too much time to blogs, facebook, etc, and now add twitter and its just bad, real bad. I love this idea of just doing one day, and I would love to do it. I can't say that I will do it for sure yet, because that would be comitting and then that would mean I would have to stick with it. Ya know? I'm thinking about doing my day on Wednesday. We will see. Thank you for this post (as usual). I always LOVE reading what you have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yikes. i actually wished i had not read this post - knowing that i should do something like this.......
    i'm in. thanks for the conviction - i may never read your blog again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, hippie chick!

    First, I've heard so many good things about that book. I guess I need to put it on my list.

    Funny you should mention it. I've been giving serious thought to having an unplugged day. I just need to decide which day to unplug. As soon as I figure which day is my unplug day, I'm going to steal your psychedelic button and put it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I'm on steroids right now and techfast is making me thing of breakfast which is making me hungry.

    2. I'm also on codeine and the swirly thing is freaking me out a little bit.

    3. Yay, discipline!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea. I am joining your movement. Either Saturday or Sunday! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this...as soon as I catch up on all my work...I'm in! I SO need this...seriously way too attached to my gadgets. Would love to let go for a day!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...