Monday, March 29, 2010

A Very Special Photo Shoot

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart" - Jeremiah 1:5

It can be easy to forget that God has a special plan for the teenage mothers. For 15 year old girls and their sweet babies. For their life in the inner-city. But the truth is that He loves them, and has plans for them, and a vision with hope for their future.

I have a sweet friend (Ashlee) who lives downtown, and I knew that she had a friend who had just had a baby. Like I've mentioned before, I'd love to use photography as part of our ministry downtown Atlanta. So I asked Ashlee if she thought her friend might want to have me take some pictures for her. Ashlee said that her friend had just been talking about taking her baby to Walmart to get some pictures taken, and that she would probably love to have me take some instead. So I nervously packed up my camera and gear and headed down to meet this sweet girl and her beautiful baby. She was uncertain of me and what I was doing, and insisted that she did NOT want to be in a single picture. Finally I convinced her though, promising that I could photoshop her however she wanted (I even told her about how I sometimes photoshop myself skinnier or get rid of zits. gasp). Once I showed her the pictures, she announced that my camera made her look GOOD. And I could not agree more. . .







"For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be."
-Psalm 139: 13-16

32 comments:

  1. precious, precious, precious. I love these pictures and I love your heart. If only we lived in the same neighborhood. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a sweet little boy! love his sweet lips. they are two very beautiful people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really beautiful, Becca. You captured this new little family perfectly. Amazing!

    Could Photoshop straighten out my nose?

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful pictures! And, i love that you are doing this as a ministry. I love doing photography as a ministry, it can be very powerful! What a great thing you did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. honey, normally I'm all about the babies. and as babies go - this one is absolutely delicious.

    but did you see that mom?
    that girl with joy just radiating from her smile all the way up to her eyes?

    of course you did.

    and you captured it.

    in a glorious way to convince this girl that she plus motherhood is a beautiful thing.

    her expression in that second to last picture - is exactly what I felt when I held my miracle boy in my arms and he took one breath after another.

    it's a beautiful thing when people let you into their lives.

    God is using you, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What stunning pictures - thanks for sharing! And that is a very special gift you gave to this young girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my favorite part of your ministry. The kids at school loved it when I would take pictures of them, because most don't even have access to a camera. What a special gift you have given this new mom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fresh new babies! So Sweet!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous...beautiful momma and baby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures - so cute - great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great message and great work, I'm sure she will cherish these forever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What you do is so awesome...and I'm not just talking about the pictures. You are helping to change lives. God bless you, Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous mama & gorgeous photos to be cherished!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this so much I had to link to it. Amazing, amazing beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing ministry - She will treasure these photos and remember the love of God toward her by your act of service.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So darling! Your pictures are beautiful and really filled with emotion. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh, this post made me tear up. that's so awesome of you to use your talents to bring this young girl and her baby to the Lord. The mother will be so happy that she has these with her precious baby. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a great story!!! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just beautiful.....both the images and your message.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are so sweet!!!! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What love!! I will be praying for this photo ministry of yours. I can see the Lord using it already! I love how you are loving on these girls!
    To God be the glory!!
    Beautiful pics friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are precious! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hmm. I definitely think you need to keep listening and letting go....listening some more and letting go. Because just wow when you let Him put you where He wants you. Beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  25. She is just lovely.
    I will pray for her.
    Pray and pray.
    right now on my caseload I have 7 girls that are pregnant. One is 13. One is 14. I have been crying a lot lately... Crying and crying.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was looking through some of your older posts and came across this one. Brought tears to my eyes, it's so sweet! So thankful God is using you and your talent in photography to touch the lives of others.

    I hope to get to see you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...