Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Few (un)Important Points

I am having some real trouble putting together a blog post today. I think the problem lies in the fact that I have entirely too many things running through my brain right now.

Hence, the list:

1- We have our foster care training this weekend. I'm excited about taking the first step in the adoption process. But I am totally paralyzed by trying to write my "autobiography." I keep looking at the page, starting to write, then deleting and staring at the blank page for a while. How are you supposed to sum up your life? It's harder than it sounds, apparently.

For those who don't know, Adam and I have planned on adopting for a really long time. We decided after working with our kiddos that we want to adopt through DFCS (the state) rather than overseas. Quite simply, when we were faced with the depth of the need in the inner-city and the sheer number of kids who desperately need a loving home, we felt strongly that we could help in some (very) small way but opening our home and making one such child a part of our family. I will keep you posted on our journey, because y'all know I can't keep my mouth shut about these sorts of things.

2- I may have mentioned a time or twenty that my best friend is moving. They closed on their house yesterday, and I've been a hot mess about it. Poor Jayci is too. She keeps saying "NURNER!" every time she sees a picture of any little boy. Here the two little munchkins are dancing together. They have some sweet moves.

Jayci and Turner from Becca Stanley on Vimeo.

3-I found these pictures on my computer the other day, and I could not be more delighted. She's such a little model, seriously. Adam would tell her what to do, and she did it immediately. Strange how that works when Adam does it, but not me. When I tell her what to do, she looks at me with an impish grin, and does the opposite. It's a good thing she's cute.




4 - Immediately following our 30 hours of foster training, we are leaving for the beach. Which I am very excited about, but also slightly stressed by the possibility of wearing nothing but bathing suits, tank tops and shorts for a week straight. Someone should have warned me that bathing-suit-season was so close when I was eating that second (or fourth) helping of ice cream.

5 - I don't actually have anything else (OK I probably do, but I can't remember anything at the moment), so I will leave you with something that's been sitting on my brain this morning:

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter."~Francis Chan

The End.

19 comments:

  1. Two things:

    1. That picture with her resting her face in her hands? TOO MUCH! She is crazy cute!!!

    2. Francis Chan kicks my butt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayci is sooo doggone cute!! Love that quote!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey, don't rewrite your biography from scratch. Your best words are already on your blog.

    Cut.
    Paste.
    Print.

    Your heart is going to shine through those thoughts you've poured out and you just can't improve upon that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally know how you feel! My brain has like shut down lately to protect me from going crazy if I think about everything going on right now lol!

    Those pictures are TOO cute! I love her little hands under her chin :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so sweet, the doctor has to sound the diabetes alert!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the second to last picture! So stinkin cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have so much fun at the beach!! Love those pics of precious Jayci!

    ReplyDelete
  8. we finalized our adoption in January through the local state DFS. excited for your family.

    fun photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have the cutest little girl!! I can't get enough!

    And that's awesome that you guys are starting the adoption process. The hubs and I are pretty sure that we're done with biological children and we both really want to adopt. We also plan on doing it through the state. Let me know how it goes. I have so many questions about the whole process..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a great time at the beach! It sounds like you can definitely use some rest.

    Those pictures of Jayci are just priceless!! Beautiful lighting <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Becca that's awesome! You are in the spirit! I was reading a chapter in this book "Sacred Singleness" and I have just finished reading about a lady who adopted a child quite young. I closed the book with a deep pang in my hear. I said "Lord I want to adopt/foster after Law School".
    Your posts really inspire and you will be in my prayers regarding your journey.

    P.S.
    Sorry, no email yet! It will a few weeks but I will email you.

    Oh by the way I love the pic of Jayci with her chin in her hands. I saw the facebook caption for it...hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously. I am so happy the Lord allowed us to cross paths. Enjoy your time at the beach and say "So Long, Insecurity!" when you're wearing nothing but bathing suits, tank tops, and shorts. You look fabulous!

    I added you to my sidebar so I can keep up with you better. : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's adorable. And what a good thing you are doing with your training.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree. That picture with Jayci with her head in her hands.....Sigh. She is a little model.

    That Francis Chan quote gets me every time I read it.

    I feel your bathing suit pain. We're getting ready to move to the beach, for crying out loud. My thighs are so not ready.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my word!! I loooove that Francis Chan quote! You little girl is too much! LOL! I love her pics! Now I have to go back and look at the dance :) WE are headed to the beach the second week of May, we are even taking a a few kids who have never been before. Its amazing how the become a part of your family. Keep me posted with the adoption thing. We need to talk. I will email you :)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I just came across your blog. Adopting a child is helping in much more than a very small way! What a wonderful thing you are working towards!

    My best friend is moving away this month, too. I hate it!

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh. my. word. that 2nd picture from the end w/ her head resting in her hands squatting down MUST be entered in something somewhere (or framed!)! I LOVE IT!!! paul has a way with getting addie to do things too...it almost frustrates me that he can get her to perform in front of a camera and i cant! i finally got to a point where i just didnt bother taking any portraits without him! haha

    ReplyDelete
  18. I look forward to following your adoption story!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cutest pictures! She is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...