Monday, April 26, 2010

Loved People Love People

I mentioned that this past weekend, I had the chance to hear Beth Moore speak on insecurity. Her message, and the entire experience, was just fantastic because every word was exactly what I needed to hear. I have so many insecurities, it's a little ridiculous really. It has been interesting for me to read the blogs of some other girls (some of whom I even got to meet this weekend) who wrote about how they struggle with insecurities of their own. Yet, when I look at all of these girls, I can NO reason for them to be insecure; in fact, I spend so much of my time comparing myself to them and worrying about how they are so much cuter, better dressed, funnier, prettier, skinnier, and blah, blah, blah . . .

Anyways, I have plenty I could say on the subject of insecurity, and how much I learned about my own struggles with it, throughout the weekend. Luckily for you, I'll spare you all those gory details (for now at least). There was, however, one thing in particular that I cannot get out of my head from the simulcast.

It was funny because Beth said something that I'm pretty sure she stole from my "future blog post" file. Never mind that it only exists in my head. Because last week at church, our pastor mentioned in passing how John always refers to himself as "the disciple whom Jesus loved." When he said it, I had this fleeting thought about how that seemed a little arrogant. Yet, when I took the time to really think about it, all John was doing was stating the Truth of who He was. Because Jesus did love Him. And I let my mind wander for a little while (sorry Jimmy!) about how powerful it would be if I lived out of the Truth that I am the daughter whom Jesus loves. And what if I could get my kiddos downtown, and my own daughter, to live their lives grounded in the Truth that each and every one of them are the one whom Jesus loves . . .

Then Beth said the same exact thing. I kid you not. It was weird really. She went on to talk about how if we recognize our true identity, we will be freed up to love other people. Because people who know they are loved, love. People who are forgiven, forgive. Those who know how deeply they have been covered in grace, will extend grace to those around them.

And y'all, I was hit like a freight train with the fact that this is exactly what our kiddos (well and ALL of us) need to learn. One of the girls we work with told me the other day that she never tells anyone she loves them (because I tell them all how much I love them all the time and she asked me if I noticed that she never says it back). When I asked her why, she said "it just don't feel right." The problem is that she doesn't fully believe that she is LOVED, so she doesn't know how to love other people. Think what a difference it would make in her life, in all of our lives, if we were so secure in our status as LOVED that we were willing to make ourselves open and vulnerable by showing love to those around us.

The thing about it is that walking out of our security in Christ looks different in every life. For me, it means a willingness to give up my "stuff," to let go of those things I've been dependent on for security (because what are they but idols designed to mask my unbelief?) For the girl we work with, maybe it will mean walking a different path. Maybe recognizing her worth and security in Christ means she will value herself enough to finish school. To go to college. To stop the cycle of welfare and prison and poverty. . .

My prayer for each and every kid we work with, for myself, for my family and friends, and for Jayci is that we would take every step in the security that comes from knowing that we are the beloved disciples. The daughter or son whom Jesus LOVES. Because if we grasp that fully, I'm pretty sure our lives are going to look dramatically different. And that might just change the world.

*A few post-script notes:
1-Here's the ONE picture I took this weekend. ONE. Seriously, good job Becca.
*With the lovely Megan and Jenna. Aren't they just the cutest things? Some other new friends who aren't in my one picture: Erin, Mandi, Lauren, Faith, Dina, Rachel, Amy, Lianna

2-Don't forget that today's the last day to enter my giveaway for some natural bug killer. Which sounds lame, but is actually pretty cool.

16 comments:

  1. I was there, too - it was great!! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so excited that i got in the one picture you took! that makes me feel special beyond belief. i love it...and you and Meg look so pretty!

    more importantly, i loved this post. thank you for sharing all of that my dear! i just love your heart.

    soooo glad i got to meet you in person this weekend. wish could have had more time! i will def call you next time i am in marietta and we will HAVE to get together! love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...wish I could have been there! I know it was a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post and so so true!!!! I think even months from now we’ll still be finding something new that we took away from this conference. So excited I got to meet you, wish we could have chatted more! Love ya, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post. So very true - if we could only realize that our entire identity is wrapped up in "we are loved"... UGH - we make things so difficult for ourselves in wanting to be someone/something else. And yes, I've wanted to be at least *like* you many a time :)

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. You wrote: "the disciple whom Jesus loved." When he said it, I had this fleeting thought about how that seemed a little arrogant.

    You went on to correctly conclude that this self-designation was not arrogant, rather it was a true fact about the gospel's author. However, as the Bible says scripture is profitable for correction, so I wanted to offer a note of biblical correction on something you said in your comments.

    Certainly those who love the truth would not intentionally present an unbiblical idea as if it was biblical. But, as the saying goes, one has to take off their own shoes before they can take a walk in someone else's moccasins, and similarly, when it comes to a case of The Bible vs. Tradition, one has to be willing to let go of the traditions of men in order to see the truth that is hidden in plain sight in the text of scripture.

    TheDiscipleWhomJesusLoved.com has a free eBook that compares scripture with scripture in order to highlight the facts in the plain text of scripture that are usually overlooked about the “other disciple, whom Jesus loved”. Since the Bible is profitable for correction, you may want to weigh the testimony of scripture that it cites regarding the one whom “Jesus loved” and may find it to be helpful as it encourages bible students to heed the admonition, “prove all things”.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Powerful stuff there, Maynard. Thanks for sharing what you learned and saving me the conference fee :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I rarely comment, but thought I'd tell you how much this post meant to me right now in my life. Been struggling with my faith A LOT and I read all your posts...but this one was particularly effective ;) THANK YOU for letting those of us who need a little help lean on your faith while we are getting our footing back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear, you have NOTHING to be insecure about. You are absolutely B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L, both inside and out. Thank you so much for sharing this powerful post.

    p.s. Carpool Queen cracks me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of the things that I keep going back to in my notes. This is so well-written...thank you for sharing! I wish that I had known about your blog before ATL, so that I could have met you in person. :) Love your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh.... wow. I didn't go to the conference, but NO KIDDING, I had that SAME thought today. Friends with middle school girls, and the drama, even at a Christian school. And wanting to make them look in a mirror and tell themselves that they are the daughter of THE King, and that He loves them... just as they are. And THAT should matter more than what any mean girls say... He loves them. Isn't that weird? I think He must really want us all to hear that right now....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Profound. I am going to write this down in my day planner. I am loved. Beloved by Jesus. If that can't make me feel secure...I don't know what can.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, ma'am. And amen. Very well said, friend.

    I've always heard (and believe it to be true) that hurt people hurt people. But this is so true, too. Loved people DO love people. Because they know how to love. They have an overflow from which to give to others.

    Beth Moore steals stuff from my head all. the. time. If she weren't so much better at saying it than I think it, (and if she weren't just so lovably precious to me) I'd find it REALLY annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know I'm a few days late, but I am just now getting caught up on blogs from the past week!

    This post is SO well written. I don't think you could have been more clear with the message!

    PS--have fun at the beach this week :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...