Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Reflecting on the Journey

While I was in college at UGA, I was involved in a campus ministry called the Baptist Student Union (BSU).

As a completely unrelated side-note, one of the girls we work with is in a clique called "BSU." When I excitedly told her that I was in BSU too, she said her BSU stands for "been swagged up" . . . Hmmm, not the same thing.

Anyways, BSU has since changed their name to Baptist Campus Ministries, and they asked Adam and I to come up to Athens and speak at their Gathering last night. After I threw up from fear of public speaking, I agreed. Because typically when Adam and I "speak" together, he does all the talking and I just sit there awkwardly. Because we all know how awkward I get when things get awkward (Modern Family anyone?)

We went up to Athens late afternoon and met my sister (the pastry chef) for dinner at Taqueria del sol. Because large quantities of Mexican food mixed with nerves and getting up on stage is ALWAYS a good idea. Or not.

Before dinner, we took a few minutes to walk through beautiful North Campus with Jayci. She was slightly enamored with the fountain:
Me and Jay with my beautiful sister. Seriously, her hair just DRIES like that all on its own. I'm not bitter or anything.
My new favorite picture of Jayci. Check out those toofies.
Regardless, it went really well. Shockingly well, actually. And I even talked too. Well, I read blog posts, but that counts right?

Why would I read blog posts you ask? I'll tell you why, because I express myself better in writing than I do when I talk (I know, you're probably surprised at this fact judging from my recent blog posts, but I promise it's true). Also, they told us they wanted us to share stuff from the blog, and to tell about our journey. And I always do what I'm told. Seriously, I'm a total rule follower.

The night was quite an encouragement. Just looking back at our journey and remembering the Lord's faithfulness to bring us where we are today was refreshing and encouraging.

Anyhow, in an EXTREMELY round-about way, I am trying to say that I wanted to share the series of posts we shared at Gathering, in hopes that it might encourage some of you as well.

Leaving Stuff Behind
Lately
*These first two posts were written before we even went to camp or knew a single thing about inner-city ministry. How incredible to see the way that the Lord was preparing our hearts almost four years ago for what we're doing TODAY. Amazing.

Learning by Serving
Mama D's House
*From some of my first times going downtown after camp. God was continuing to shape my heart and reveal HIS heart for the poor, the downtrodden, the orphan and the widow.

A few from our time in the trenches of ministry, feeling discouraged . . . (from the Broken Voices blog):
Thoughts on Jump
Is it really worth it?

And where we are today:
Cultivating the Soil

Mostly, reflecting back on our journey has re-invigorated my heart and filled me with excitement for what I am certain the Lord still has in store for us!

*For everyone who's here from BCM, sorry to disappoint with the fact that I don't write thought-provoking, insightful posts every day. Or even most days. They're more of a rare treat actually.

9 comments:

  1. I am so thankful that you were able to share Becca! When I come here I never see someone who is awkward or fearful. I see someone who loves Jesus so very much it shines thru in everything she says and does. It is such a blessing and it makes my heart feel overwhelmed with Joy. I am so thankful that I get to serve the same living God that you do.

    You are doing so much and making a difference in the world and I rejoice in that. I know Jesus rejoices in that too.

    I LOVE Jayci So much. I love your sisters hair. Wow. And I love, love, love your heart and compassion for others. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOOO thankful you guys shared your journey with us!! I've heard you quoted many times this week ... and loved it! Glad it reminded you of where God has brought you ... I'm getting my diet coke and cheese dip and pulling up a chair to watch the rests of this journey! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of your posts are treats!

    I was in the BSU, too. The Baptist kind, not the swagged kind. Whatever that means.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you had this opportunity. And the pictures are adorable...I love the one of ya'll in front of the fountain-beautiful.
    Thank you always for your kind words at my blog! I appreciate it so much!
    Loves,
    Shonni

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's the cutest thing EVER!!!! Her hair is adorable-I love to put Allie's hair in pigtails too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm reminded how God told Jacob to build a pile of rocks to remember what God had done for him.

    I think we all need touchstones to bear witness to the mighty work He has done so that we can be encouraged and strengthened in the faith that He will continue to work mightily in our lives to accomplish His purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word, you are my sister from another mother..(and daddy for that matter) LOL
    I feel you on the whole communicating better blog/writing than in person. I do the exact same thing when i am asked to come and speak! LOL

    I love it! pretty pics girly( as always) we have got to come to the ATL and see yall!

    love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm from BCM, and I always follow you because even when you don't think you're being though provoking, you're living your life and doing ministry along the way, and just knowing all that goes into that is encouraging to any of us who long to do the same! Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute little girl. Looks like a fun time!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...