Monday, June 7, 2010

Is it still cool to say "BFF"?

I don't even know how to write this post. I've sat down to start it at least five times, but then just sit here and stare at the screen, watching that little blinking cursor, feeling sad and overwhelmed. In the last few days I've successfully flown with an almost two year old, moved out of and cleaned our house, and arrived down at camp. Oh and said good bye to my best friend. I mean, I'll probably see her again before she ACTUALLY moves in two weeks, but it still felt like goodbye. How does goodbye feel, you might wonder? Not good, my friends, not good at all.

Court and I became fast friends after joining a small group together a few years back. Then we moved into her neighborhood, just down the street from her and her hubby and their two sweet little boys. Then I had my baby girl, and I literally would not have made it through my first year and a half of motherhood without her. For crying out loud, I brought her one of Jayci's poop diapers to make sure it was normal. That's the true test of friendship right there.
Our kids are best friends too. It melts my heart to see them play together, and to hear how stinkin' excited Jayci gets every time I even mention the names "Holden and Turner." She adores them, seriously. And as much as I've been trying to avoid thinking about Courtney leaving, I've teared up more times than I can count when I think about how sad it is for Jayci to be losing her two sweet little friends.

Clearly, not just anyone gets to be my best friend, so what is it that makes Courtney so special? I think anyone who knows her would agree that she is genuinely one of the most generous and kind people I know. She is constantly giving, watching people's kids for them, making meals for people who need it, encouraging new moms, letting people steal borrow cable from her . . .

Court is an amazing wife, with a loving servant's heart, who creates a wonderful home for her family - she cooks, cleans, and does all the other stuff I absolutely hate, without nearly as much complaining as I do. Which is impressive, if you ask me (although it might be more impressive to y'all if I elaborate by saying she really doesn't complain AT ALL, seeing as the majority of people probably complain less than I do). She's a fantastic mom, and her two little boys are blessed to have her. She has so much patience and wisdom, and I literally feel like I don't know how to be a mom without her.

I have lots of really great friends (seriously, I'm totally blessed in that department), but never before have I met anyone who I feel 100% comfortable being myself around, and asking for help when I need it. I'm a little (ok a lot) insecure, and I have this weird thing going on where I feel like I never want to ask TOO much of people, even friends, because I dont want them to think I'm too much work and give up on me or stop liking me or anything. I know, I have issues ok? Courtney, however, is the most constant source of encouragement, prayer, laughter, and I just know without a doubt that I can ask her for ANYTHING. I can only hope she feels/knows the same about me.

Now that I think about it, I feel a little sorry for Courtney because I feel so comfortable with her, I ask for stuff/help from her ALL the time. And I tell her EVERYTHING. And y'all know how much I can type in a single blog post? You should hear when I tell everything. It's exhausting really.

In just two weeks, Courtney and her family are stepping out in faith and moving to Texas to train as missionaries. The next step for them, after training, is moving to Portugal to run The Haven, which is a retreat for missionaries in the field. Courtney is, seriously, the perfect person to love on and encourage missionaries - she is going to be such a blessing to them. And personally, I'm just trying not to be jealous that they get her (aren't I such a good Christian sometimes?).

All this to say (I never claimed to be concise), I am going to miss her more than I can adequately express in words. I know that long-distance friendships are possible, but my track record with them is terrible. But I want Court to know that I am committing to doing everything in my power to maintain our friendship, even across the miles, because she's totally worth it!

7 comments:

  1. oh geez...i literally sat down with a carton of ice cream topped with chocolate and whipped cream, the whole shebang, before I tried to begin reading this. no joke.
    girl, you totally make me sound like the saint i'm not! i only wish! you are such an amzing friend--and will CONTINUE to be my bff! we have our gchat, text, skype plan in place, and i know we'll be strong as ever! i have to believe what krist told me is true: that friendships at home only become sweeter when you leave for the mission field! and since we're both moving into the field, ours should be twice as sweet!
    i love you and jay and adam (except when he's gassy) and always will!!!!!!!
    xoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooooooooo incredibly sweet!!!! Friendships like these are once in a lifetime and such a HUGE blessing!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry that your best friend is moving away. Can't imagine the emotions that have been flooding you these past few weeks with all you have going on. I can (kinda) relate to your BFF loss. My BFF moved away about a year and a half ago. Luckily the move was only to an hour away but it is still further than I prefer because we can't just have impromptu lunch or shopping dates and I can't just pop over to say 'hi' whenever I feel like it. We are still close and talk on the phone a couple of times a week but I still miss her dearly. True friends are something to be cherished forever. My thoughts are with you as you transition into this new chapter of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww that is soooo sweet!!!!!!!

    You both are sooo blessed and I just know that you will do whatever has to be done to stay close!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a big blessing to have a friend like that IN your neighborhood! I have my dear friends from all parts of life, but I have to say, I have none in my current city. What a blessing that has been for you over the past few years. I'll be praying for BOTH of you as she moves across the country!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is still cool to say "BFF" and I'm here to tell you that true friendships survive even if you're not the street from each other.

    Whimzie and I have stuck it out for twenty years, through countless moves, the addition of six children, and more big life events than we care to count.

    Praying for your tender heart, though, as you adjust to this new stage of your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just came across your blog on Gussy's community post and I have to tell you that I love this post. Isn't it amazing when God blesses us with friends like that?
    Anyways, just commenting to let you know that I'm excited about following your blog. Happy New Year! :]

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...