Monday, June 28, 2010

Making Disciples


I've been reading David Platt's new book, Radical. Everything he writes goes right along with camp and our goals and dreams for what camp should be for these kids.

There's a passage near the beginning of the book that has been echoing in my mind and heart through these first two weeks of camp, and I wanted to share it with y'all:
"Making disciples is not an easy process. It is trying. It is messy. It is slow, tedious, even painful at times. It is all these things because it is relational. Jesus has not given us an effortless step-by-step formula for impacting nations for his glory. He has given us people, and he has said, "Live for them. Love the, serve them, and lead them. Lead them to follow me, and lead them to lead others to follow me. In the process you will multiply the gospel to the ends of the earth."

Forming relationships with these kids and starting them on the path to becoming disciples our primary goal here at camp. And the truth is that it IS messy. The kids say and do things that are hurtful, they disobey. They fight against your discipline and ignore your instruction. They push you away, and put their walls up constantly. But it is worth it, because the gospel is always worth it.

3 comments:

  1. I am also reading Radical right now. And that quote is one that I also noticed. As a mother of many, one of my primary goals are their mother is exactly what that quote is about. "Live for them, Love them, serve them, and lead them...to Jesus.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am putting it on my list of books to read this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...