Friday, September 17, 2010

The "Terrible 2s" Have Officially Arrived!

Two years ago today I was about as big as a house, and the contractions had just started in earnest. My sweet friends were visiting us in the hospital and I was giddy with a mixture of excitement and nervous anticipation . . . our little girl was about to make her entrance!

Two years later, I can't believe all the changes, joy, frustration, and happiness that that little bundle has brought into my life. Not to mention, she's not exactly a "little bundle" anymore. Her long legs and little girl looks are sort of taking over her baby-ness. Which makes me really sad, but proud and excited at the same time. I just know (without any bias obviously) that she is destined for great things.
Dearest Jayci,

Today you are two years old. And the only thing I can think about is how much I treasure the last two years we've had together. Your sweet little face brightens my every day. I love hearing your voice, on the phone, first thing in the morning - even when it's 5am (your wake-up time of choice lately). Speaking of wake-up times, let's chat about that, shall we? You should probably consider sleeping in until at LEAST 7am. Deal?

Your blond hair is STILL blond - which confounds me and your daddy, along with most strangers we meet. They always ask where it comes from, and all I can do is shrug, and maybe kiss your head or ruffle said hair. I look at you and wonder how I got so lucky, to have this beautiful little golden-haired child. Your sweet cheeks, slender long legs, bright blue eyes, and button nose, continue to delight me - I can't help but kiss you and tickle you, much to your chagrin. I'm almost as bad as your daddy and "brothers" (Zack and Sabo) for driving you crazy!
You are smart, and use proper grammar and full sentences on a regular basis. You know the entire alphabet and the letters for your name. When you don't want something, instead of simply obeying and saying "yes ma'am," you say "no thank-you." Which makes me laugh, and is sometimes even successful in getting your way!
You have oma and opa, nana and pop-pop, all your aunts, zack and sabo, and mommy and daddy wrapped around your cute little "fing-ger." Sabo told his grandma the other day that we were "just crazy over you" . . . and he was totally right. We love everything about you! When Opa gets home from work, you two chase Rup-e (the dog) around the house with shrieks of delight. Or maybe you'll pound on the piano a little in an effort (usually successful) to make the dogs howl. The chaos level is unparalleled.

You finally love school (well, you cried all day long for your first two days), but now you love "miss marna" and music class, art class, and especially "going whee" on the playground! I adore picking you up from school and hearing all about your day. And then we call daddy so you can tell him about it too - which is adorable and hilarious, and he has no idea what you're saying.
I know you're super-smart because you're such a problem solver. We only let you have your "paci" in the car or in your bed, but sometimes we'll make an exception if you fall on your head or scrape your knee really badly . . . You've realized this now, and sometimes will pretend to hit your head on the wall, fake cry, and say: "need paci, feel all better." It doesn't work, but it sure makes me laugh.

The tantrums have arrived in all their glory. Yesterday, I think you had at least 37. I was about to pull my hair out with all the throwing yourself on the floor, screaming, kicking, and crying. . . Not that pulling my hair out would be any more productive than your temper tantrums. Whatev. Let's just pretend that the "terrible two's" don't exist, and be done with all this tantrum nonsense. Especially because I think you somehow can smell my vulnerability and people-pleasing tendencies, and recognize the power of the public temper tantrum. Just kill me now.

Oh I kid, but seriously Jayci, you are a bright, beautiful little girl - and you are LOVED deeply by SO many people. We have so many hopes and dreams for you, but most importantly I want you to know your identity in Christ. To rest in the Truth that you are loved deeply by the One who made you. To grow to be the person He made you to be, without being distracted by doubts or insecurities. To know that you are SAFE in His arms, all the time.
I pray for you everyday, we love you more than anything, and can't wait to see what this year is going to hold for you!

LOVE you!
Mommy

"I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." - Ephesians 3:17

9 comments:

  1. This was beautiful and happy birthday to your sweet girl!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! I can remember coming here seeing Jayci as that little baby... & now, 2 years old... amazing...

    Love all the stories about her... loving she knows how to work the sympathy to get a paci! She'll need that "swaying" when she's married - haha!!!

    Happy Birthday to that beautiful blondie of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a precious girl.... I cannot believe she is two. I found the picture of me holding her in the hospital. Seems like yesterday! Happy birthday, Jayci!! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your beautiful baby girl! I know God has great things in store for her.

    For us, the 2's were a breeze compared to the 3's...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, Becca! You have me crying now!!! Thanks a lot!
    Love this sweet post and the letter to Jayci simply melted my heart. I love the bits of sarcasm mixed in. She's gonna love reading it some day!
    The blond hair throws me for a loop as well but if she was sportin' Adam's dark thick locks and his beard, I'd be slightly worried so Blond is good!
    Happy 2nd Birthday little Jayci! Be easy on your Mama, she's a sweetie too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy birthday sweet girl! do you ever just search for a pause button? just for a minute? beautiful pictures. beautiful little lady! i will be praying for you. two is hard. (before two was hard for us and it seems like yall too). so i'm just praying that the terribles will be over well before she hits three. not so much yet :) but there's still hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful little girl. Hope she had the best of days on her birthday. Thanks for sharing her with us and letting us "watch" her grow up. She sure is a joy!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...