Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Who can blame her?

Today was Jayci's first day of preschool. She ate a healthy breakfast, her outfit was all laid out and ready to go, and her backpack was packed with everything she needed. In other words, we were entirely together and not at all acting like ourselves this morning. I dropped her off this morning, we were even a little early, which is somewhat epic for us, especially considering we had to drive downtown from Marietta during rush hour traffic. We had been telling her all about how she was going to school, and that her teacher's name is Miss Marta. She pronounces it "miss marna," which I'm fairly certain is the cutest thing ever. Anyways, we walked in together, and she want straight to the puzzles. So naturally, I scurried out of the room while she was happily occupied.
I must admit I felt like a bad mom because I didn't even cry, I tried to well up a few tears since everyone else has been blogging and twittering about losing it for their kid's first day of school. But nope, nada. It might have something to do with the fact that I'm spending my morning enjoying this. And in my defense, she didn't cry either.
I've been sitting here getting actual work done without being interrupted every few minutes, which I'm convinced is going to make me a better mom when Jayci is home with me. Plus, I just got a call from her preschool to let me know she is having a fantastic first day, and doing really well.
I will admit, they DID say she got off to a rough start because she didn't want to take off her backpack. But who can blame he, I mean it's such a cool, stylish backpack . . . Ok, so it's from Walmart, doesn't zip up right, and has a built-in white board with markers that never worked. But still, who can blame her?
With that, I'm going back to work, and then off to do a little house hunting while I'm down here. Hopefully, soon I'll be able to drive 10 minutes instead 60 minutes to bring her to school every week. Because we all know there's no way I'm going to be getting her to school on time twice a week in rush hour traffic. That's just not how we roll.

*Side note: My camera is in the shop, so I used my mom's Nikon to take these first day of school pics. And clearly I have no idea what I'm doing with a Nikon. Clearly.

21 comments:

  1. so cute!!!! and guess what--holden still says "marny for "marty."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh... your pictures are still awesome crazy girl!

    I'm glad she's diggin' her first day of school. And that Mom is too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't cry. I was relieved. And while we seem to live in a world where I felt like WORST MOM EVER for not being called to homeschool- school has been good for all of us. Now, I am even ready for After School to start. I did tear up this year - as they entered 3,4, and 5th grades because the reality of them not being babies anymore really hit me.

    But- then I get so much done being able to breath. I am a better Mom and they get more of me in the end. You are on the right path!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Lenita! Enjoy this time! The Lord clearly has other plans for you in this season! Love her outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont think there is a law or rule that says you HAVE to cry :) I think some parents just are ready for the next step for both of you... & sounds like that's exactly what that is... even with Little Miss Cutie Pie marching right in to the puzzle pieces - she's ready to get out & learn! How exciting - for everyone!

    That picture of her sitting on the ground is adorable... & her eyes squatting looking at the camera - ADORABLE!!!! I think you can handle any camera lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pictures really are cute and she looks so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great pics! First day of school, big deal for both mom and baby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so so cute!! happy 1st day of school!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah I'm slightly jealous...the only thing here in Oxford is Mother's Morning Out 2x/week which has been FULL for months. I'm almost to the point of begging for a spot in the 1's. Oh wait maybe I just did. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH my gosh, you are too funny. So cute of J and congrats to her...and to you!! No, you are not a bad mom and yes time away does make for better parents (I say that like I have some authority on the matter, or better yet a kid...wait, I dont have either...just trust me ;)). Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cried the first day of kindergarten, but only when they asked who would eat lunch with me?

    Clearly, I have raised these children right to get emotional about food issues.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew you were using a different camera, but she was still BEAUTIFUL as could be. And you can work magic with anything!

    I don't think I cried for preschool. Now the rest of them...oh my word.
    I was a big ball of MESS! And this year? I am crying already. I just can't take it. All the growing. All the changing. All the LEAVING HIS MOTHER for new shores. OH MY HEART!

    She is the cutest preschooler in America! Way to go being early : ). I love your family.

    And I wouldn't want to take a backpack like that off either. That is too cool for words. Broken zipper and all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY!!! So glad she had a great first day!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO cute! I love the sitting pic taken from above, sooo cute! :) so glad y'all had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You crack me up! What kind of heartless Mom has to try to squeeze out a tear on their baby's first day of preschool?!? TOTALLY KIDDING! You deserve to enjoy some 'ME' time. I hope I have your composure on Grant's first day of Kindergarten!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH CUTENESS!! Girl, she's getting so big and I love your pics!
    Ok, I totally lost it the first day and then, you know, not so much. I can get 1 billion things done in a day.
    Who knew.
    I owe you an email. Thanks for checking in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness! SO CUTE! Love all the pics, and I totally think its ok that you didn't cry! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww! I think I would be like you on the first day of preschool {even though, we aren't doing preschool..} And, she is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ok. she just keeps getting cuter! i didnt cry on addie's first day this year either...but then she told me she sat "criss cross apple sauce at circle time" and i near about lost it? hmmmm...i blame hormones from nursing the twins or lack of sleep or something! so glad you had a great first day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I love her and her backpack - it's the most adorable thing EVER!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...