Tuesday, November 16, 2010

This One Time, We Went Hiking

This weekend, Adam and I FINALLY had a free day that we could go hiking. Now let me back up and explain that Adam has been practically begging me to go hiking with him for, oh, four years or so. See, my husband would describe himself as "outdoorsy" and so he really enjoys doing things like hiking, and camping, and fishing, and kayaking, and so on. I, on the other hand, prefer lounging by the pool and reading a good book. Or laying on the beach and drinking a diet coke and eating cheese dip. See? I'm flexible and versatile.

Anyways, we've been so busy that I keep putting off hiking with Adam because of one thing or another. So this weekend, we finally had a day to go - and we took advantage of a nice day, with no plans, and spent the morning hiking. And, surprisingly, it was fun (and not too entirely strenuous).

It helped that it was literally a perfect fall day.
I mean, can you even believe how blue that sky is? And I promise I didn't make it more blue in photoshop.
Jayci is a lot like me in many ways (as it turns out, according to my parents, I was also a stubborn and bossy as a kid). However, on our hike, Jayci was basically a miniature female Adam. She was enthralled with RUNNING down the mountain (bestill my stressed-out heart) and jumping from rock to rock on the river. I far preferred having my little-bitty-baby strapped into this backpack contraption.
While Jayci and Adam were rock-hopping in this river, I laid on a rock in the sunshine (now if only someone had brought me diet coke and cheese dip - it would have been perfect).
I spent some time praying while I was laying there. Because it's nearly impossible not to pray when you're entrenched in the Lord's beautiful creation. I was asking My Father about this period of our lives. And what He wanted us to learn during this time of waiting. And suddenly Psalm 23 popped into my head and nestled itself in my heart.

"He leads me beside quiet waters,
He refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake. "

As I gazed at the still water beside me, I knew that God was using this time to restore my soul. To guide our steps. But why? FOR HIS NAME'S SAKE. To bring Him glory with our lives. In every step.

And then the rest of the Psalm reminded me that God is also using this time to prepare us for the next season in our lives:
"Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me"

I am filled with thankfulness that I have a God who knows my needs so perfectly and intimately. I am thankful that He is restoring my soul and giving me rest, and reminding me that even when we move into a dark valley, we have NOTHING to fear. Because He is with us. Always.

12 comments:

  1. I loved this so very much. It touched my heart and soul. Thank you. Thank you for listening to Jesus. And sharing your journey. You teach me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful post--both the pictures and the words! I'm so happy when you're happy. And since the leaves go straight from green to brown in Waco, I loved vicariously hiking through them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE THIS POST and loved so many of those photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMEN! He shall never leave us nor forsake us!
    I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post. I feel refreshed just reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you took time to do that and find blessing in the midst of a least favorite thing. (I'll totally volunteer to sit by a pool and eat cheese dip with you, any time.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted to stop by and tell you how much I enjoyed your interview on 'Live with Kaishon'. You have such a beautiful heart for the path God has you on. So nice to 'meet' you. Looking forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, Becca! Came from your interview at Becky's place. Your life strikes a chord with me as I have a dear friend living in the inner city here with a similar ministry of compassion. She is always giving photos away too. Lovely. You will make the valley a place of beauty for many.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I discovered your blog because of Becky at Life with Kaishon. I am delighted to be here.

    Your photos are amazing, I might learn a thing or two.

    Take care. xxx

    <")>><

    ReplyDelete
  11. BEAUTIFUL pictures. Although, I was sure you lived in downtown ATL so not sure where you found such a peaceful beautiful place. Not that downtown ATL isn't beautiful.....just a different kind of beautiful...=)

    Do you recommend photoshop or lightroom for editing photos?

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...