Monday, January 17, 2011

A Dream

First of all, thank you ALL so much for your kind words of congratulations and encouragement on my last post. I wanted to respond and thank each of you personally, but unfortunately me and the toilet had prior arrangements apparently. Basically if I could just crawl in a hole and sleep for at least 2 more weeks until I'm out of the death-trap that is my first trimester, that would be fantastic. Anyways, enough complaining about that.

Despite the major case of the yuckies, we could not be more excited about the little one inside me. Jayci calls the baby "brovther shishter" no I'm not sure whether she thinks it's going to be a boy or a girl or some weird combination, heaven forbid. Anyways, she's really cute about it and yesterday said: "I WOVE baby brovther shisther, want to see it?" And then she proceeded to show me HER belly. Ha.

Good gracious with the rambling, my apologies. I blame pregnancy brain. I'm so glad I can use that excuse again.

Today is Martin Luther King, Jr Day. And I've been thinking a lot about his dream. And his words and wisdom and his hopes for the future. In many ways, his dream for black and white to sit side by side as brothers and equals HAS been realized. But unfortunately, there are so many ways that it also has NOT been realized. I am reminded of this each time we go downtown and realize our faces are the lone white ones in the crowd. Or when kids tell me, "you're the only white person I've ever been around."  Or when I look around the schools and churches are realize just how segregated our lives somehow remain.

And the truth is that King's dream echoes the Kingdom of God. Freedom for the captives and release for the oppressed. So as the church, the body of Christ, I believe we continue to bear the burden to spread this kingdom. To proclaim that it is here now, and to make that dream a reality.

Because I think there are few people who could read King's words about the poor, and not agree that this is a dream not yet realized: "God never intended for a group of people to live in superfluous, inordinate wealth while others live in abject, deadening poverty. God intends for all of His children to have the basic necessities of life, and He has left in this universe enough and to spare for that purpose. So I call upon you to bridge the gulf between abject poverty and superfluous wealth." In 1962, King preached, "I see hungry boys and girls in this nation and other nations and think about the fact that we spend more than a million dollars a day storing surplus food. And I say to myself 'I know where we can store that food free of charge - in the wrinkled stomachs of the millions of people in our nation and in this world who go to bed hungry at night.'"

So join me today in remembering with gratitude and with hope both how far we have come, and how far we have yet to go.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."

"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear."

“If we have no peace, it’s because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.”

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."


6 comments:

  1. Hope you get to feeling better soon!!!!!

    Love the pictures and your message! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. And I love baby brothwer and schwister. So sweet. Very happy for your family.

    I will keep working on Dr. King's dream every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures are Martin Luther King’s dreams all summed up!!!! Beautiful post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! I don't get to blog hop as much as I would like (and Adam had school today... more about that another time...*sigh*), but when I saw your comment on my blog, I let out a squeal! For REALLZZZZ? Jayci is gonna be a big SISTER????? oh Becca, how wonderful! I canNOT think of a greater blessing than a new life. And I cannot think of a mommy and daddy more suited to creating the kind of life that we are in desperate need of right now. We use the phrase "Jesus with skin on" so much that it's become passe'. And yet, you are. You are what He envisioned ... what He came here to create... YOU are the real dream, sister. Ooooh, if I didn't think it might flip you over the edge, I would wish for twins.. a brothwer AND a swchister... (and little ones are far more in tune than many people realize, so you better watch out..). HUGS in a big way!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!! Our little Parker (he's 2) is going to be a big brother this March and we're super excited, too : ) We're having another little boy.

    I feel ya on the 1st trimester...whew! I was glad when that part was over too. Now I'm just big and tired all over again in the 3rd trimester, haha. Not trying to complain...just excited to give birth!

    Hope you have a great week!
    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just got awarded the Stylish Blogger Award because you are one of my favorite blogs to read! See this post for details: http://baaremans.blogspot.com/2011/01/and-stylish-blogger-award-goes-to.html

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...