Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Beginnings Part 1: The Home

Remember how I mentioned that 2011 is officially the year of new beginnings? Well I thought I'd do a little series of posts updating y'all on WHY exactly that is so. First of all, most of you already know (since I've talked about it ad nauseum) that we are moving into a NEW house. Actually, this weekend we are FINALLY starting that process by beginning with some demolition! Wohoo (ps - shoot me an email or message if you're in the Atlanta area and want to help with that this weekend)

Now if I'm honest, I really love decorating my home. And I like nice things. And I like my house to be PRETTY. Unfortunately, there are a couple roadblocks in these preferences: 1-nice things cost money, which we don't have a lot of (shout out to working in the ministry and living on support) and 2-We ARE moving into "the hood," so I don't want my house to be SO nice that it stands out as either a target for robbers (yikes) or that our neighbors and kiddos don't feel comfortable coming over and hanging out. On the other hand, we DO (sorry for all the caps today, I promise I'm not shouting) want our house to be a home. We want the kiddos to see what it looks like to have a permanent home, a place that is a refuge and a comfortable escape for them. For most of the families we work with, the concept of home ownership is completely foreign. Most of them have lived in many different apartments, dragging along their belongings in garbage bags and never even bothering to unpack, knowing that the stay will only be temporary.

All of that to say (hey I never claimed to be concise), I am planning on nesting in our new place for sure. So one of our new beginnings this year is starting to build our NEW home in our NEW neighborhood.

And here's a little of my inspiration for your viewing pleasure. So you can keep me accountable to actually decorating our little place.







As a side note: 1-I'm not positive where I got all these . . . sorry about that! Some are from Cottage Living, The Lettered CottageHolly Mathis Interiors, Jones Design Company . . . And probably some other places I missed - sorry!

2-I REALLY miss Cottage Living magazine. Which I realize sounds totally lame but it was EXACTLY my style and I just can't find another source of inspiration that I love.

16 comments:

  1. I love love love that master bedroom and that style!!!!

    I wish I could take whoever did all of that and bring them to my house to do the same EXACT thing :) Well for 1/4 the cost probably. HaHa

    Can't wait to see your home in all the stages - glad you're getting to start. I know you're more than ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I spend a little too much time on decor blogs. I was saying, "I've seen that one somewhere" over and over:) Good luck with the demo and have fun with the decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love,love the ideas ... and that you can finally really dream about the home in the 'hood! :-) My favorite part was teh HUGE dining room table ... there can never be enough spots there! I've laughed so often at the 13-15 people sho have crowded around my table for 8 just to all be together! There's something fabulous about that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay, congratulations on getting started this weekend! I love it all and can't wait to see what you do with it! :) and I love the pic in your header! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, I didn't know they canceled cottage living. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited for you guys!! The demolition part is so much fun ~ you get to take out some of your frustration in having to wait so long to get started!! I love all your decorating ideas except for two things (if I can throw my 2 cents in)...1) the big fancy chandelier in one of the dining room pic (too fancy for the 'hood'; and, the cat HAS to go (next to the last pic)!!! Have sooooo much fun!! You guys are going to LOVE it!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am excited for you! Decorating is so much fun. I can't wait to decorate our house. Gary doesn't want me to paint. He thinks they told us we have to wait 10 years because of nail pops....not even kidding. Is that crazy or what?

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of these pictures are beautiful!
    I completely understand your concerns about not having your neighbors be uncomfortable and also understand the ministry/pretty things cost a lot of $ thing.
    But, as a PW who lives is a parsonage, I long to be able to have my own things, to decorate as I like, paint walls as I would like. SO, I guess since I don't have that, I'm encouraging you to make your house your home. Make it you.
    I SOOOOO wish I could do that!
    in HIM-
    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. (not lame. I miss Cottage Living so much I could cry.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey friend!
    I was awarded with a blog award and I wanted to pass it on to you should you accept it!
    Click the link, read the post & repost in your own blog!
    http://www.ambrosiaclark.com/2011/01/blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so funny that you posted this yesterday. I also had a whole post ready to go with our house inspiration... and of course something came up to continue to make us unsure about our living situation. Gotta love a good curve ball! I love your photos, very similar to some of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a big fan of your style. All of those rooms just scream "home" to me. Take pictures and blog ideas. You'll get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey! i would love to help! let me know & it would be a fun excuse to see you again! - davis

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your house is going to beautiful! I saw a DIY post on tufting your own duvet. It was a knock-off on anthropologie and it cost like $60 bucks! It looks extremely similar to the one in your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the idea of the kitchen table bench. You can have chairs too in case people want to sit and hang out, but the bench allows you to expand on the fly and lots of little ones can fit in the space.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...