Friday, February 11, 2011

Good Gracious Heavens but I am tired . . .

I realized something last night when Adam grumpily mumbled to me at 5:30am: "do you think you could try getting her once?"

I replied (obviously very kindly and not-at-all snappily or sarcastically): "once? try this is my fourth time getting up with her."

It turns out Adam had also gotten up with her 4 times during the night. So 4+4=8 - EIGHT times during the night Jayci woke us from our precious and much-needed slumber. Now, to be fair, it's entirely possible that one or both of us either a) exaggerated the number of times we got up with our child to ensure that our number would not be lower than our spouses' number, or b) imagined, dreamed, or hallucinated getting up four times with a crying baby child who actually just needed the blanket tucked back around her. That said, Jayci had to have been up at LEAST 5-6 times every night for the past month or so. Oh and being pregnant, as it turns out, already makes me tired and cranky without any added sleep issues. Not to mention the fact that I'm feeling a little panicky at the realization that we're about to start the newborn phase all over again, and at this rate the next time we sleep through the night will be sometime in the late 2020's . . .

The thing is, I've been googling the heck out of "sleep training for toddlers" and "why in the name of all that is good and holy is my two and a half year old still waking up a million times a night?" and everything revolves mostly around setting up a good bedtime routine and getting her to sleep painlessly. But the "getting her to sleep" part is already pretty painless. It's the "getting her to stay asleep" part that's causing us anxiety and headaches and desperation for caffeine even though coffee makes me vomit these days.

We don't get her out of bed. We don't play with her or turn on the lights. And as soon as we go in, she settles right back down and goes right to sleep (for an hour or so if we're lucky). Unfortunately, that still involves us getting out of bed, reassuring her, going back down the hallway, climbing back in bed, realizing I have to pee because I'm pregnant, getting back out of bed to go to the bathroom, tripping over various shoes we have inevitably left strewn around the room, and trying desperately to fall back asleep fast enough that I can legitimately let Adam take the next waking.

I expected not to sleep with a newborn. And in just a few short months, I'm again expecting not to sleep because, you know, the newborn . . . but a two and a half year old? With nothing wrong? You're killing me here.

And because I know y'all are going to suggest this, let me throw it out there. We've tried letting her cry, and she quickly goes from slightly whining and easily consolable to completely angry and out-of-control and inconsolable no matter what we do. Not to mention we are currently living with other humans who didn't necessarily sign up for the crying in the middle of the night.

The only thing I've apparently learned from this whole experience is that "sleep" and "parent" are basically oxymorons. Now if only I wasn't pregnant and I could enjoy a margarita and cheese dip, because that's the only solution I can see right now. But then again, I'm totally sleep deprived (not to mention nutrient/food-deprived) so I might be missing the magic sleep solution that's right in front of me. If so, please feel free to point it out. Thank you and good night.

10 comments:

  1. Praying for you, Adam and jayci!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Anna Grace did the EXACT same thing. And she didn't sleep through the night until she was three. Our solution? We made a palate of blankets in our room, so that when she woke up, she came to our room and slept on our floor and was out for the rest of the night. I don't know if that will work for you, but ANYTHING is worth a shot. I'm so sorry and I know how incredibly hard that is!!!! I've SOOOOOOOOOO been there- repeating over and over in my heart and mind about how the Lord is long-suffering, so help me be long-suffering. Oh, I hope you find a solution soon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here's your hope- she's now six and sleeps like a rock. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This.is.my.life.

    Except, Parker will occasionally go some nights never getting up once - so I know he CAN do it. Is J in a bed or crib? Parker is in a twin & just wanders into our room at various levels of upset ranging from hysterical to bored. :/ Ugh. I feel you on the "we're starting OVER?!" panic too...

    If it's any consolation, we'll probably all survive - though it may not be pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, i'm more than happy to treat you to the cheese dip & i am certain that we can find you a pregnancy appropriate margarita.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No advice but I hope you get some sleep soon!! Preferably before new baby arrives:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree parent and sleep are oxymorons. I've mentioned how I solved the 2-3 year old wakeful issues with you but solving sleeplessly waiting for teens,,,,, that's a whole 'nuther story.
    I hope and pray your find peace, rest, and nourishment for body and soul.
    love ya

    ReplyDelete
  8. best of luck
    followed
    http://tncsrb.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My oldest didn't sleep through the night until after 2.5 years old by which point she had a baby brother. We wandered through those years in a fog. Thankfully all of our children now sleep through the night. Thank you, Jesus!

    The boys had similar issues to what you describe with Jayci. Our solution was that my husband moved them down to the basement and slept with them, either in bed with them or on the couch so that I could sleep and he didn't have quite the same distance from bed to child. It was still challenging, but better.

    I am praying for you!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...