Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Enough

Some mornings when I wake up and stare bleary-eyed into the mirror, I wonder what in the world I’m doing. Raising a two and half year old, while living out of suitcases for almost a year is just flat-hard. Not to mention trying to do it without my husband because he is working 14 hours a day on our house, so we can move into an arguably dangerous neighborhood to work with some arguably difficult kids . . . It is in these moments that I hear a sinister voice whispering in my ear: “you are not enough.” In the book Captivating, Stasi Eldridge says that every woman hears one of two lies - you are either too much or not enough. For those who live out the gospel on a daily basis, the Liar whispers ever-louder in an effort to derail their work – God’s work.

When the sinister whisper threatens to overwhelm me, the only solution is to listen to the other voice - a familiar voice that quietly and insistently reminds me because of Jesus I am, indeed, enough.

Over the past two years, I’ve discovered the importance of remaining grounded in Truth. Truth: I AM enough because God designed me and shaped me specifically for this work. Truth: He loves the kids I work with even more than I do - His love flowing through me is enough. Truth: Jesus is working through me in Jayci’s life, and everything I do has eternal significance and impact, even when I don’t see the results. Truth: God will not ask me to do something He doesn’t also equip me to accomplish.

When I don’t remember the Truth, I am easily swayed by the enemy’s lies - I am not enough; I don’t know what I’m doing; and it doesn’t make a difference anyway. But ask any of the kids that we work with if it matters, ask Jayci if it matters, and I think they would tell you it does. They know that I love them and they can trust me. For kids living in the chaos of poverty, trust and love are incredibly significant.

So this morning, tomorrow morning, and next week, when you wake up and look in the mirror, examine your heart to discover what lies you believe. Even more importantly, ask yourself: what Truth do you need to rest in today?

*Originally published here in 2009

4 comments:

  1. what an awesome post! thanks for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Captivating actually crossed my mind this morning. I was thinking it was about time I reread it again... But like the rest of our lives, it is currently residing in a box in storage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And HE is more than enough! Reminds me of Chris Tomlin's song...
    "All of You is more than enough for all of me for every thirst and every need You satisy me with Your love and all I have in You is more than enough."

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...