Friday, April 15, 2011

Behind the Curtain, aka Plywood

We are slowly, but surely, plugging along on our house renovation. I mentioned in this post that we had some more setbacks. None of that was anyone's fault, just circumstances beyond our control - which makes everything all that much more frustrating. Regardless of set-backs, however, the house is still looking more and more like an actual home every day.

All of the windows are still boarded up, and we wont remedy that until we're about ready to move in. Why? Because all of the windows (except one glass-block window in the master bathroom) had already been busted and boarded over. And in the course of working on the house, we had rocks thrown through the one in-tact window, which means it is also now boarded up. Yipee. It's kind of a bummer not having windows to see what colors and things will look like eventually; but it's the price we have to pay for working safely and securely on our house.

Behind the plywood, however, there are lots of changes taking play. All the walls are up (wohoo!), the floors have been leveled (hey it's almost 100 years old after all), the walls are even primed and ready to paint, and as I type this, the tile is being laid in the bathrooms. I know y'all are DYING to see some sneak peeks of the progress (ok, so I might be overestimating your enthusiasm for our long, drawn-out process), so I thought I'd share a few snippets of the progress being made. Just so you actually believe that we are, in fact, working on an actual house and it's not all a figment of our imagination or something.

Here's one of the bathrooms with the tile all laid (sans grout). There's subway tile to the ceiling around the tub, and small octagon tile in white on the ground.
 This is the dining room. Allow me to explain a few things: 1-There is no ceiling because the ceiling in the kitchen and dining room are going to be beadboard, which hasn't come in yet. The rest of the house has completed ceilings. 2-We used tinted primer on the walls, which means they are basically the color they will end up. And yes, that is a bright aqua color on the walls. Adam encouraged me to stray from my neutral (or boring as he puts it) palette.
 This is looking into the master bathroom. You can see the previously-not-busted-out glass block window, along with the half-wall for the shower, and the light blue color on the walls.
Please note that due to the lack of light (because, well, plywood over the windows), these pictures are taken with phone-cameras, so I apologize for their lack of quality.

5 comments:

  1. Becca it's looking great. I'd say you are probably going to pass us up!! Love your bathroom tile! I'd like something similar but I live with a spouse that is anti subway tile... Who is anti subway tile?! What a strange thing to oppose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very, very excited for you Becca! I love that wall color! It reminds me of Tiffany's signature box!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love It!! I'm so very excited for you all! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I am amazed on so many levels! I thought gutting our kitchen was rough, but I can't imagine making decisions for a whole house! Most impressed w the progress! Hope that things go smoothly & that your feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No lie, that is my favorite tile combo! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...