Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Growing a Human

First of all, I must apologize for my extended absence. First blogger was down for a while, and now my computer is in the shop because it is acting like a crazy-person. For realz. Luckily, while we're living with my parents, there are a plethora of computers I can bogart for a little while to write y'all a quick update.

Last week, I had a doozie of a doctor's appointment. I mean, it wasn't terrible or anything - I just had to do my glucose test, blood work, and get an ultrasound because my placenta was a little low on my last ultrasound.

Now don't worry, because my placenta is just fine now. Because I know you were worried.

Anyways, I thought now was a good time as any to share a quick update on the pregnancy and how things are going.
As a disclaimer - I am wearing no makeup and am exhausted . . .

As I mentioned earlier, it is a boy this time. And if his amount of inner-belly movement is any indication of how active a boy he is going to be - then all I have to say is that I'm a little frightened.  Not to mention that yesterday I realized how much I dislike trying to parent a 2.5 year old, so I'm thinking that having two children seems a little overwhelming and extraordinarily challenging right now.

The doctor said that everything looked perfect and healthy, and that my little boy is, in fact, measuring at about 2 weeks larger than how far along we think I am . . . I corrected him that probably what he meant to say is that this will be another 6 pound baby. Because I enjoyed delivering a 6 pound baby - but a 10 pounder? Scares me.

Speaking of measuring large, when I stepped on the scale, I had apparently gained a large amount of weight so rapidly that the nurse exclaimed my weight LOUDLY and with MANY EXCLAMATION MARKS!!! So loudly, in fact, that I'm pretty positive everyone in the office heard and wondered what in the world was going on. I urged her to lower her voice and reminded her that I just stopped throwing up and was really enjoying my cheese dip and ice cream. I'm really only like 9 pounds ahead of my starting weight; but remember, I lost a lot of weight while I was sick . . . but I'm not counting all that weight as gain - just the part above my normal weight. That's reasonable right?

As a completely unrelated side note, this computer is really hard to type on. I keep deleting things and jumping backwards and typing new sentences in the middle of old sentences etc. So this post is taking me approximately 4 hours to write.

We still haven't settled on a name for our little boy. Jayci calls him "brother" and has finally dropped the "brother-sister", which is at least a step in the right direction. But don't worry, we will keep you posted when we do make a decision. There are 2 main problems we are encountering in settling on a name: 1-Adam and I never see each other while he's working on the house, so we dont have time to talk about it, and 2-I think the name Adam likes is a girl name, and I just can't get past it. I'm all for giving girls names that sound slightly masculine, but for some reason I'm flinching about doing it vice versa.

While we're on the subject of updates, let me just say that I can only HOPE and PRAY that we will be in our house within the next month. But how many times have you heard that? (hint: a lot of times, that's how many).

Also, I would like to mention that I feel totally clueless about raising a boy. Plus, what is he supposed to wear? All I know is that I like to put Jayci in ruffles, but I have a feeling that my little guy might not appreciate me sharing those same preferences for him. So what do you think? Where should I shop for boy clothes for this one? Plus don't boys like to run around and yell and climb things and stuff? That's cool and all, but I'm a little more lazy and prefer laying on the couch and reading books or coloring or something . . . . Or maybe that's just because I'm flat-exhausted these days with chasing a stubborn two year old who literally fights me on every. single. thing. Seriously. Exhausted.

16 comments:

  1. Glad everything is going well... & glad the throwing up has eased up where you CAN enjoy that ice cream & cheese dip. That's gota be part of the reward of pregnancy!

    Anxious to hear the name!!! Hope a decision gets here before the baby ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you to have a boy! Boys are wonderful :) I have 2 and a 3rd on the way. My oldest was 7lbs 10oz when he was born, and I thought that was a good size. My 2nd kept measuring 2 weeks ahead of schedule but they never moved my due date (which I still to this day believe they had wrong) and he was born 1 week early weighing in at... 10lbs even! ;) Not to scare you, the delivery was actually pretty easy! And I don't think your little body could hold a baby that size! Can't wait to hear of a name you think of, we are having a hard time thinking of a name too!

    And you look great by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so very glad you are feeling better and all is well. you will love having a boy...Seth and Brooke's little Jack is adorable. Born on Easter morning. He looks just like Sean with jet black hair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are a vision of loveliness.

    Let me just tell you about the boy clothes...they are a pile of crap.
    True story.

    I have heard they are better than when Kaish was a baby but back then....OH MY!

    Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phashaw on no makeup and looking exhausted -- you look terrific!!

    And little boys really do have some precious clothes. Polo shirts. Cargo shorts. Overalls. Button down oxfords. Look on ebay for Gap, Children's Place and Janie and Jack stuff. Precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great even though you are exhausted! :)

    I didn't know how to dress a boy either until I had one. I was only around my sisters and all my cousins were girls too. I have gotten Caden a lot of clothes at Kohls, Belk, and Macys. I love getting little Ralph Lauren clothes for him and Macys always has them on sale. If you like smocked/dressier clothes I buy church clothes from Shrimp and Grits as well as Smocked Auctions (they are on Facebook). Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure I knew you were having a boy....did I? Anyways I'm so excited!! And you know how to dress a boy! Just look at that adorable bow tie you sent me! I'm so excited for Eli to wear it! You look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you look great! What a sweet baby bump you have there!

    I have 3 sons {kept trying for that girl and finally surrendered to the fact that all I can produce is boys!}. They are certainly alot to keep up with but in a good way! Target has boy clothes that are just as cute as the girl clothes { I know how cute the girl clothes are because when I see them my whom aches for a girl =/ } Boys are fun =] And Jayci {also my nieces name!!!} is going to be a GREAT big sister!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! You crack me up so much girl! It's a race to see which one of us will move into Adair Park sooner. So far, we STILL haven't heard back on our offer, and the goal was to close in July... arghh!!!

    As for boys and lounging on the couch, let me tell you, if you can work it out right, they'll be so busy climbing on everything they won't even realize you're lounging around! I love that my active boy can keep himself occupied. He's almost two and still not a lot of talking. I keep wishing he'd talk, but then realize that if he did, he'd expect me to talk back to him, and that's just exhausting! For now, he just busies himself with playing with water in the sink (for an hour and a half, seriously!) or running around in a circle around and around the couch (exhausting to watch, but he doesn't seem to care if I don't join him!) or simply watching him climb up high on some piece of furniture and thinking, "hmm, this probably doesn't end well but, hey, he's gotta learn sometime, right?" So far, not trips to the ER for broken anything. I think toddlers bounce.

    I miss you and can't wait to see you when I get back! I'm editing all my LA photoshoots from Kevin's Aunt Barbara's house in Monterey. Couldn't pick a prettier place to be working. And little Evie has finally figured out that sleeping is a good thing! Yay!

    Love you,
    -R

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look so good lady!!! I think you're going to dress this one as absolutely adorable as you dress Jayci and he's going to be the coolest little babe around.

    I'm dying to get Jayci and BG together. We must meet up in Athens one day for a playdate. They seem so much alike!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know all boys aren't the same, but Jeating is SO rough on clothes! I have gotten all of his at consignment sales, target and Walmart. That way when he is wiping muddy hands on them, then it's not a huge deal. Makes life just a little bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to hear an update on your baby boy!! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i looove your family and your blog!
    love all the way from Poland!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the boy! I have one and I like him. I grew up with brothers so am still trying to figure out how to deal with my two girly girls. Boys are easy, just stinky :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boys are very fun! They also give the best snuggles.:)

    Carters has some amazing/extremely cute boy clothing as does the children's place. Please Mum is one of my favourite stores to shop for all of my kiddos, boys and girls alike, which may be a suggestion for your Canadian relatives. We're superhero fans and have taken great pleasure in dressing our little boys in superhero shirts thanks to old navy. :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...