Wednesday, September 28, 2011

"Da Crib" - Kitchen Tour

I realize it has been a long time coming, but I finally cleared out my kitchen enough to snap some pictures for you guys. Granted, I merely dumped most of it on the dining room table and put it back after I shot these, but still . . . at least my kitchen looks clean for once!
Those of you who have been hanging out here for a long (LONG!) time might remember the "before" shots. 
I would have to say that the "after" is a big improvement. Some might even say "huge gigantic improvement." I love our kitchen so much, it's definitely my favorite room in the house (it's also the most "finished"). It's perfect for kiddos congregating, making big meals, sitting at the bar and chatting . . . I was a little nervous about the "Tame Teal" wall color (that, as it turns out, is not actually very tame) but i love how it turned out once we got cabinets and trim and accent colors up. We added the beadboard ceiling and crown molding, but the rest of the trim is original to the home. The cabinets are painted a light gray color (Sherwin Williams - Passive Gray).
 
Our countertops are made from these huge butcher block tables that we got for free from an industrial warehouse. They were badly scratched and beat up, and we just had out cabinet guy sand them down and voila! Beautiful butcher block counters for FREE dollars. Oh and Adam's dad made the corbels for the bar top and the open shelving from the same butcher block. No biggie, he just whittled them or whatever. He's a whiz with making things. We treated them with mineral oil and beeswax, and so far they are holding up great.
 
The pendant lights are DIY, made using a pendant light kit from Home Depot and and some old egg baskets we found at an antique store. I was just about to tell y'all they were surprisingly easy to make, but then I realized that I didn't actually do any of the work so you will have to ask Adam how hard it was . . .
The bar top is made of concrete. We made it (remember, I use the term "we" loosely, and primarily to refer to "Adam did it completely on his own without any of my help") using the DIY instructions found on Kelly Moore's blog. I will say that the counter weighs approximately 600 lbs. Not that I lifted it. Cause I didn't. I love the patina from stains and water rings and bubbles . . .it adds so much character! True story: The FIRST time we ever ate at the bar, Zack spilled his hot wing sauce all over, leaving a lovely stain that taught me much about NOT FREAKING OUT over our new house and keeping it perfect (a crucial lesson considering how many kids tend to hang out in our kitchen these days).
We were able to save most of the original hardwoods throughout the kitchen (we did have to replace some boards that were rotted), and we just had them sanded down and covered with a satin-poly (without any stain, we wanted to keep the color variation). The adorable hand towel was a gift, I think it's from Anthropologie.

Adam and I have continual debates over the open shelving. He keeps trying to make them more "functional" by stacking large quantities of plates and bowls etc. On the other hand, I insist they are meant to be decorative. Which is really a reflection of our relationship: I'm decorative and he's functional. Meaning he does all the work. My analogy breaks down a little with  me being "decorative" and yet never wearing makeup or doing my hair these days . . . oh well.
 
We used subway tiles with gray grout for the backsplash. I love how it turned out, and feel like the darker grout adds some interest and ties it in with the cabinets. The farmhouse sink (hello lover) is from Ikea. It's large and deep and perfect for stacking up many many dirty dishes. Not that I'd ever NOT do my dishes immediately. The plates on the wall are from Anthropologie, there was also a pretty pink one that didn't survive the move. Oops.
So that's our kitchen . . . thanks for visiting "da crib" (as it's named on Four Square - which Adam signed me up for and I never remember to use) Sadly, I am not the "mayor" of "da crib." Whatever that means.

Stay tuned for more room tours. Someday. When I have a chance to move the clutter around again.

*I'm linking up here -- be sure to visit!

36 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - it's so pretty! You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I LOVE this! I can totally see why it is your favorite room in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks awesome! I love the ceiling, and light, and colors, and everything:) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely beautiful, becca!! the open'ness, the colors, the light ... wow - it's a dream!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becca it looks amazing! You did a great job directing Adam!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love EVERY single detail. It's beautiful and functional and it has personality. I'm totally crazy over the beadboard ceiling and both the butcher block and cement counters. And okay, everything. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love 'da crib'! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well now, I see ya'll have created my DREAM KITCHEN! :-) Sooooo amazing! Just like the people who live there! :-) Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love it and have saved it to my favorites for inspiration! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. STOP IT! I am in love with it ALL! Seriously. Has there ever been a more perfect kitchen? No way!
    And the free countertops? AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's gorgeous, Becca!! Perfection really.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. Now that is a kitchen I'd love to hang out in! I love how so much of it is DIY, and yet it looks professionally done. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO PRETTY!!! I love all the DIY projects - especially the light fixtures! You guys are amazing! :)

    ps- we completely understand the moving/settling/crap everywhere phase. We've been moved for a month and are still in it. So far our kitchen and bedroom and bathrooms are unpacked.... our living room, office, and guestroom, um, not so much. And there is not even ONE picture on the wall... soo... we get it! It will all come in time (or so I keep telling myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been reading your blog for a little while now.. So GLAD that things are looking up for you guys! and your kitchen.. your kitchen is AMAZING! I love it.. I have hopped to have my own kitchen similar to it someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been reading your blog for a little while now.. So GLAD that things are looking up for you guys! and your kitchen.. your kitchen is AMAZING! I love it.. I have hopped to have my own kitchen similar to it someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is bee-you-tee-full! The colors looks so amazing together, and I am in love with the butcherblock. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! Great job! I love the ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE it!! Such a perfect room and it just seems so "you" (sine I know you so well and all!;-) ).

    I just caught up and I am amazed at how much Jayci and Caden look a like!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks fantastic!! I'm so impressed by the all the work that you have done. I really want white cabinets in my kitchen but your gray cabs are going on my list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your kitchen! How nice to get free butcher block. I agree that the cement looks better with marks and spots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just love this kitchen! WOW, you guys did a lot if work! Looks so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, Becca! Your kitchen is so refreshing and fun! I love the DIY details (or ADI...Adam did it) lol! I love the color, the concrete, the light fixture - your style. Everything works so well together. Thank you so much for sharing in the Roomspiration kitchen party! ;)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm in LOVE with everything, especially the wall color!!! Can you please email me with the details of your "tame teal?!?!?!!!" I need this for our bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my heck. 1) Do you really have "tame" teal and "passive" gray? Ha ha ha!

    2) Yep, those are the baskets. Thank you for proving that they will look as awesome as they do in my noggin.

    3) We put bead-board ceiling in our bedroom 2 houses ago. I still miss it.

    4) I want to lick your color palette.

    5. White subway tile with gray grout is competing with vintage yard-sticks for our backsplash.

    6. That concrete island is the yup-yup.

    7. Can I put you on speed dial when we start doing our kitchen???

    ReplyDelete
  26. could you please email me details on that wall shelf? I would love to buy/build one for myself.

    thanks so much!! Love your kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. i love the tame teal! it's a great color. we just painted our basement one called barely teal, and i wish it was a little less "barely" lol.

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE it all! We are wanting to do butcher block counters in our new house and I love the idea of using reclaimed wood. Gonna start posting on freecycle to see what I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow looks awesome! Did you get the sink recently and how much was it at Ikea?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow awesome kitchen! Did you get the sink recently and how much was it at Ikea?
    Thanks, Laura

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...