Monday, November 14, 2011

Update on Life and Jayci

I'm not sure I could be more exhausted. I'm also not sure I should say that, for fear of how little sleep I will get tonight. About 2 weeks ago we started a "sleep through the night" sticker chart for Jayci. Guess how many stickers she has? Two. That means there are only two nights that she has slept straight through in the past 2 weeks. Not to mention Caden waking up at LEAST every three hours, usually every one or two.

All that to say that when Jayci came down with a high fever and cough AGAIN this weekend, for the third weekend in a row, it about did me in. The first two weekends seemed weird, but THREE in a row with Jayci getting sick? Not normal. So we took her to the doctor this morning. She said that it is possibly that Jay just had three different minor viruses the past three weekends. But also that it could be something more serious, which means she ordered blood tests and a chest x-ray. We agreed with her that after everything with Caden, we always vote for erring on the side of caution. Especially because Jayci's fever went up while we were at the doctor and she was back at 104. Poor thing. It was not fun for me to be back at CHOA, particularly with my grouchy three year old. Who didn't enjoy having her blood drawn or chest x-rayed. It was one of the worst moments ever when I had to hold her down while they drew her blood. She screamed loudly and cried for her mommy the entire time. I hated it.
Anyways, we got her chest x-ray back and it was clear. The blood work we should get back tomorrow, but they did get initial blood counts which came back normal - a very good thing (because the doctor admitted she was worried it was leukemia. Which I'm glad she didn't tell me until AFTER she had ruled it out based on blood count). We're hoping and praying that Jayci has just managed to get 3 different viruses the past few weekends. And if I'm being honest, today made me glad that Caden wasn't old enough to look betrayed or ask us what was going on when he had his surgery.

Jayci totally has moments of happy (after the Tylenol kicks in and her fever goes down), but it's mixed in with lots of not sleeping and being angry and sad and complaining that her legs are hurting. Which is weird.


We also have to try and keep her away from Caden, which is difficult because she loves her baby brother and wants to snuggle him constantly.. Not to mention that, well, he's adorable and hard to stay away from. Plus, she's three and doesn't quite understand the concept of germs.
Again, we'd appreciate your prayers. I feel torn between fear and certainty that nothing serious is wrong. Dr. Jina said there's just no way that the Stanley family could be unlucky enough to have something else major wrong in less than four months. I part-way agree, while also knowing that God doesn't work like that. His ways are not our ways, and we continue to trust Him with both of our beautiful children.

17 comments:

  1. Praying for your sweet little girl. I hope everything is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no Becca. Praying, praying, praying for Jayci! Blood draws on 3 year olds...HORROR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying! We had to do a blood draw with Addie from her arm (vs finger) and it was rough. Not fun! I'm so sorry! Praying everything comes back completely normal & she "just" managed to get 3 bugs & her sweet little legs hurt bc she's growing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Moley my heart sinks when I read this and imagine the fear you're keeping at bay. I am SO glad your doctor didn't mention the leukemia before the blood showed that wasn't it. Oh, my gosh. Just the thought turns my stomach. One child at a time is almost more than someone can bear, but two? More than is humanly possible. I am so glad you have our good God standing with you and doctors who care about you and your kids. I am praying for more good news tomorrow and for deep, refreshing sleep tonight. Oh, Lord, grant Adam, Becca, Jayci, and Caden EVERY SINGLE THING they need. Uplift them. Heal them. Encourage them. Renew them. Give them stregnth and hope and peace and endurance. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying that everything is okay with Jayci and that it is "just" a virus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart just dropped when I saw leukemia...so thankful that she didn't share that with you until after she saw the blood count! Praying that she is right and it is just 3 different viruses. But it still isn't fun to have a sick baby. Praying for rest for you. Complete rest. "Come to me you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest-Jesus." Thanks for sharing your day to day life with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying fervently for you and your sweet fam. When you're ready, I would love to drop in and take a night shift. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a long few weeks! praying for rest and strength and for Jayci to get well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my goodness.... I will totally pray. I just 'sighed' for your whole family & everything you've had to deal with lately :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've stopped and said a prayer for your sweet family. I wish I was in Atlanta I would come and help you out. Mama needs some sleep....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that doesn't sound like much fun! My perfectly healthy hearted children got sick a lot from ages 3-6. And I mean A LOT. It was like they needed to get everything during those three years, so they wouldn't get anything for the next ten. Now ages 10 and 12, they rarely ever get sick. I don't think either of them has had anything besides a minor cold in the past five years.

    On the other hand, my little Superkid (with an artificial mitral valve), gets pneumonia all the time, it seems, even when her heart is functioning properly. Last year was so bad (5 cases of pneumonia between September and February), that we were referred to an immunologist, who did all kinds of testing. When we saw him for the results--which were normal--he explained to me that it is considered perfectly normal for a healthy child to contract up to 10 viral or bacterial infections per year. Ten! I was floored. That seemed unacceptable to me, but apparently immunologists see worse! Our immunologist said he sees the majority of his patients only once, because they've been referred by pediatricians who think the 5-6 illnesses they've had recently are a sign of something more serious--and they rarely ever are anything outside the realm of normal.

    So, hopefully this wordy comment will help you feel a little better. Believe me, I know how hard it is to think positively when you are exhausted! I hope Jayci feels better soon, and you can all get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Becca - I will be praying for sweet Jayci. I'm interested to see what is going on. Just remember to keep your head high and your heart strong, and as you know - trust God. I learn so much from your faith and how you share it on your blog - but now, hopefully I can encourage you. This is what was prayed over my during my c-section: Philippians 4:6
    Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

    PS - You have lots going on right now - but I awarded you the Liebster Award on my blog - don't feel you have to do anything w/ it :) You have more impt things going on! Love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you poor guys! I'm praying for Jayci and everyone else to stay well. Love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor girl (poor momma!)! We get colds like that too being in MN and now that my son is 3 and around kids at preschool and sunday school so often...it's miserable. He also says that his legs hurt quite often and we have chalked it up to him running around and being so active and have started making sure he is eating more banana's and drinking plenty of water. Also I am the person that pokes the children with needles...not fun for anyone! Praying for rest and relaxation for you and her!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am praying for answers and quiet, sick-free weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your shots of Jayci, they also bring a smile to my face. I'm keeping you in my prayers. Also, she will sleep through the night regularly. It will happen, I promise! My oldest didn't sleep through regularly until she was 2.5 and by then we had an infant. Now all three of our kids sleep through the night regularly. :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...