Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Even then.

We are half-way through our first week of campers. And I fully realize that it has been nearly a week since I posted here. It's just that when we're at camp, life tends to move at a faster pace. And somehow slower too.
 
This different pace is exactly the reason we love camp. Why we love letting our kiddos escape the city for a little while to experience the cadence of life in the country. Where we walk through the dark by the light of a full moon and a sky pin-pricked with stars. Where lake water and muck seeps through our toes, and we climb walls and zip-lines even when our knees feel weak. Where frogs fill the night with loud lullabies, and are thrown into the beds of unsuspecting campers by Adam (it's one of his favorite camp activities).

At camp, by the time I kick my Chaco's off at night and wash the dirt off my feet, I just want to crawl in bed and whisper prayers that Caden and Jayci wont wake me up before the sun.
At camp, I get so caught up in playing games and having massive food fights and taking pictures of smiling faces that I neglect the blog. And that's really a good thing, right? For life to happen for real and not just here on the inter-web? It's good that I'm so busy walking outside with Jayci and dancing to Lecrae with Caden that I dont pop in here. The only problem is that when I'm not writing, it often means I'm not processing. I'm not working through my emotions. I process so much and work through so many things in this place. Like grieving the fact that I dont get to spend much time with the kiddos at camp any more, while celebrating and rejoicing in the fact that the reason for my lack of time is my own two precious ones.

Or working through how I feel about the fact that I drove back for Caden's feeding therapy this morning, and they told me he was "difficult." Which is ok. But also hard. Or that while I was at home I talked to the grandma of one of my kiddos and she told me she had given up on him. "He's just too far gone, I sleep well at night knowing I did my best. But he's just too far gone." But he is only fourteen years old. No matter how old he is, in fact, I refuse to believe that anyone is too far gone for the love of Christ to reach. Like Jayci's Bible says: He loves with a Never Stopping, Never Giving Up, Unbreaking, Always and Forever Love. So we must love the same way.
 
But if I don't write about that here, I find myself sad and feeling defeated. And I can't figure out why. So I am sitting here, when I should be sleeping, picking at a little thread of sadness, until I can unravel the whole thing. And then let God weave it back together into something beautiful. Something with promise. Something that says that we can have hope, even if some of the kiddos here end up down the wrong path. Even if some of them end up with babies at fourteen, if some of them get shot next to our garden, or end up in a gang, or prison. Even if some of them seem "too far gone."

Even then.

Never Stopping, Never Giving Up, Unbreaking, Always and Forever Love

10 comments:

  1. So beautifully said... I know that's why I work in youth ministry... for that ONE child that seems too far gone... with the prayers & hope that a seed is planted that will GROW & BLOOM... & it takes time & we may never see it, but beautiful things that grow? usually take awhile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love the Jesus Storybook Bible and dancing to Lecrae. And I love YOU. Have this irresistible urge to meet you in real life soon. Cool? Praying for you today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Marla on all counts...dancing to Lecrae, awesome! And I'd love to meet you in person too. Love your heart and the way you pen your thoughts. Praying for you guys and your kiddos and the camp kiddos! -bkgodfreyswife on Twitter :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really have to appreciate how "real" you keep things. Hang onto His promises, praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lord, I am praying for this young man, that his eyes will be turned from darkness to light. I pray for his heart to be turned toward God and his ways. I pray for these Godly mentors in his life. I pray for experiences, songs, occasions that remind him of what's right, good, pure and noble. I trust, God that you are working behind the scenes fon his behalf, because you are.

    I have this prayer posted here at work with a specific name added. I will add this young man to the prayer because we can "never" give up.

    You have a wonderful ministry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for always inspiring me and making me think that just maybe this world isn't as doomed as I sometimes think it is. I am so happy that throught the magic of blogs (and you and C going to HS together) brought you into my life. Hope you get Caden's feeding figured out - could it be positioning of the tongue??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like fun. I cant wait to come out as a cit in a few weeks. Praying for y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and your family are the perfect people to be at camp with those kiddos. You will reach them. You may not know it, but you WILL reach them. And you will touch their lives forever and share with them the One who will never, ever, ever give up on them and they'll remember that.

    Prayers for you friend, to enjoy your time there for you and for them, to make a difference, and to share God's love...which you do so amazingly well.

    Sounds like tons of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so hard in our finite minds when we have seen so much darkness... I understand that Grandmama's feelings, but God never gives up on us, and I pray that with every passing day He renews our hearts to love folks like He does... in that never ending, constantly hopeful way!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...