Sunday, September 30, 2012

31 Days of Margin

Let me start this off by telling you that I am a little stressed out by this whole endeavor of posting something every single day for 31 days. It turns out, however, that I get stressed out rather easily; although if you asked me I would vehemently argue the opposite, insisting that I am completely "breezy," and easygoing always. I'm not even going to ask Adam his opinion on the whole thing.

I actually don't even really know what "31 days" is, and just happened to read a post on Emily's blog and then couldn't stop feeling this strange nudging on my heart and hearing the word MARGIN bouncing around between my ears.

See, today has been one of those days. You know, the ones where you feel like everything is just entirely too hard? Where things feel so completely overwhelming, and it's grey and drizzly and all you really want to do is crawl into bed, pull your covers over your head and hide for a couple hours (or possibly a few weeks). You do understand that feeling right? Please say it's not just me. Sometimes I get all stressed out (read: NOT breezy) even on days like today where nothing terrible happens, just a series of small disappointments and failures and tantrums and mis-steps that all contribute to making me feel like perhaps I can't catch my breath. So Adam told me not to come home until I had spent some time at Starbucks just relaxing and breathing and reading (have I mentioned he's the best?), but I couldn't find my Kindle (shocking, since our house is a hot mess) so I mostly have just been sitting here sipping a salted caramel mocha and thinking.

And I've stumbled into the conviction that God wants to teach me some things about margin. Because our lives currently? Have no margin.

Pages need margins to be read. Words need margin to be understood. Our brains need margin to think, and our lives need space to breathe, to process, to think, to move forward.

And I think we need to figure out this whole margin thing: what is it, what does it look like, how do we get it. . .

So I'm going to do my darndest to commit to taking the next 31 days to listen, read, write, think, ponder, and question . . . what is margin and how can I create some in my life? I hope you'll join me.

And I also hope that you wont be too disappointed if I dont ACTUALLY post every single day this month. Because, like I said, this level of commitment makes me all twitchy and stressed. I just hate disappointing people, ever. Which may, in fact, be a part of the problem.

15 comments:

  1. I am so looking forward to your 31 days. Seems very interesting! (and Im the same way..... sitting overwhelmed for no real reason with a salted carmel latte in my hand)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read yours right after posting my own - and I feel the same way! It's a huge challenge, but let's give it our best shot! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in a season of trying to keep the margin I fought to create, so I'm looking forward to your series! I am jealous about the latte. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't be 'twitchy'! All you can do is give it your best shot. You are such a 'giver', but you can't give if you don't give yourself time to 'just be'. :) P.S. Adam IS great.. I think you should keep him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I love it. Cory and I have been having the EXACT same conversation lately. Repeatedly. Please help me find some margin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES I understand that feeling! In fact, when I was reading I was thinking "oh, you too!?!" and I felt myself breathing a little easier.

    I'll be trying to read along this October :) ... but everyday may not happen because, you know, margin (and also because my second son will be born sometime that month, too).

    Wanting to hug you, a kindred spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been using this word "margin" as a balance check for the last few years since a mentor shared the concept with me as we discussed weekly planning. Stopped by from the 31 Days Linky and loved seeing another 'clan' page too. Looking forward to reading these. {Whether or not you post every single day}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great exploration! I tend to have too much margin at this point in my life, and as my awesome pastor says: 'You waste what you have too much of' (i.e. time, money). So if there is ever a crazy need that you think I could help with, please don't hesitate to message me! As for the twitches, just so happens that Northpoint did a great message yesterday that helps address not being owned by your circumstances if you are interested. (It's part 2, which isn't up as of me posting this, but should be soon:) http://www.buckheadchurch.org/messages/owned

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm looking forward to your post - Margin is a topic I've been fascinated with for several years - I always felt like I never had enough time for feeding my soul. A book on the topic that I love is titled Margin and is written by Richard A Swenson MD - he is a Christian and it is written in lay terms - a very practical, refreshing book. It was published with Navpress. If you've never heard of it, I'd recommend it. I'll understand if you don't post every day! I too will be struggling with that, which is one of the reasons I committed - if I'm going to write and have a blog then I need to post, right? :) Just be true to your heart and follow God's leading - he is the only one you have to please. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Margin - I love it. Don't be twitchy about posting. Step out in faith and take an extra sip of your latte. Glad to have found you through Nester’s link up. I’m looking forward to what you have to share. I am blogging “I Wear Pink”. Please stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm trying my darndest not to be all twichy about my own 31 days. I get it!

    I'll be following along this new journey of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. THis is almost bizarre, just about the exact sentiment I shared at Bible study this morning. I look forward to following along,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not everyone will post every day and that is totally OK. I look forward to reading what you DO have to share.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need some margin. Desperately. Going to write an easy-peasy post for tomorrow to give myself some.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you come out and set the expectation that you may not post every day… That's giving yourself margin. I was thinking that 31 Days of writing can actually be stretched over 60… don't you think?

    Any way, great topic. Look forward to getting some tips. I do need margin ;)

    Maria, a fellow 31 Dayer.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...