Wednesday, November 7, 2012

House Tour: Master Bedroom

I'm not sure if y'all remember this or not (although if you don't, you might need a memory check - fyi), but last month I did a series on 31 days of margins (with the Nester). During this series, y'all, I had an epiphany.

What was this epiphany, you ask? Well, it was that I needed a retreat. Preferably a week-long all-inclusive vacation sans children and/or kiddos. But since that was out of the question, I decided my bedroom needed to become my retreat. Or at the very least, it needed to become more than a bed and a dresser and piles of clothing strewn everywhere. Because it was not relaxing or marginful (yes, I just made that word up) to spend all day every day in a chaotic house full of neighborhood kiddos and my own children and then go to my room only to feel like I should start cleaning or doing laundry or do-something-about-all-the-chaos-for-the-love-of-pete.

So I redid my bedroom. The plan was to do it during the series, as part of the series; however, I just finished it this morning so we didn't quite make that deadline. However, I DID do all of this in less than a month, and I spent less than $250. Also, please note that, as per usual, I use the term "I" to loosely refer to Adam doing most of the actual work.

Without any further ado, or apparently shame, here are the "before" pictures of our room.
And now, the "afters." Much better right? Now we just have to keep it clean.

The best part of the room is the plank wall that Adam built for me, and the old door we salvaged from our house during renovations as a headboard. Seriously, I've been looking for the perfect place to put it since we started the renovation, and I informed Adam in no uncertain terms that he best not mess up my door.
 
As far as actually creating and installing a plank wall, I recommend a handy husband and a good assistant.
I'll give you one guess whose nightstand this is . . . 

I literally just taped this print (from this shop) on the wall with Washi tape and stuck this frame I found at a thrift store up around it, and it's one of my favorite parts of the room. Easy-peasy.
This is one of my favorite pictures I've taken of the Atlanta skyline, I blew it up and stuck another vintage frame around it. I also painted numbers with gold paint pen on the dresser knobs, cause I'm crafty like that.
Ok, ok, I recognize the irony in having a "Live Simply" print hung above a jewelry display . . . hmm.
The curatins are drop cloths and the dresser is a hand-me-down from my sister. The drawers don't necessarily go in and out easily, but anything's better than piles on the floor, right?
 
On both of the window frames, I hung these little oil paintings in gilded frames. I wanted something quirky, and found them right here after much scouring and searching the antique stores and Etsy shops for something just right.
One of my favorite quotes, on a tiny canvas, from this Etsy shop.


24 comments:

  1. Sister of my soul...I am in the process of doing the EXACT same thing. I was talking to my life coach (provided by the Urban Training Program I'm in) and was telling her I'm so overwhelmed that I feel like I don't have a place to just BE in my home and I don't even have kids if that says anything :) So...I've started working on trying to at least keep my room clean and working on some artwork. Just finished covering the letters B and E in scrapbook paper and made a REST sign. I'll have to share my final product with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do share, I'd love to see!! :-)

      Delete
  2. Love, love it! It's beautiful and looks like a wonderful retreat. Great work, you Stanleys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recognize that Atlanta skyline picture :) love your bedroom! You have so much talent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Gorgeous! Your bedroom looks AMAZING!!!

    Good reminder to me...our bedroom was the last place I was going to decorate/finish when we moved...and I never did. I feel stressed everytime I walk into it. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Becca! It seems very peaceful and organized now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! Love the high school dance photo of you and Adam! You are inspiring me to finish my master bedroom. It has been the same since we moved in. You should consider selling prints of the Atlanta photo because its beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I was wondering if anyone would notice our prom picture :-) also, I would be happy to give you the Atlanta photo if you want it -- because i love you! :-)

      Delete
  7. The headboard is my favorite part. I love worn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you shared the before of your "real" bedroom. OMG I thought we were the only ones with a master like that! Oh, you make me feel so much better! (Although ours looks worse!!) And you've inspired me to do something with ours. It would be so nice to go into a haven instead of the room we throw everything in when company comes! Thanks for being real! Love what you did with the place!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I'm shocked it's still clean right now actually . . . that's probably just because we've been out of town though . . .

      Delete
  10. Beautiful room makeover Becca! Hope you are enjoying your new space!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful! It makes me want to add some personal touches to our room. When we had the house on the market last year I never took the time to make anything personal. Now it's time, only I find I want to do this in every room in the house. Now I think I'll start in the Master, seems like a good place to begin. I love all the little details you added to make it yours. As for those drawers try rubbing soap or wax on the bottom edges it might just go in easier. I had to do that with many of my finds as they have been well loved before I ever found them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything looks great, but I love the way you used the old frames. Oh, and the plank wall. I would love to do that in our room with the wood from our barn. You've got me thinking now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, wood from the barn?! I'm so jealous :-)

      Delete
  13. awww i LOVE stumbling upon some photos of where my artwork has wound up! :) i never check my shop's stats, but did today for some reason & saw some link ups from your blog. your makeover looks awesome - LOVE the plank walls. love all your etsy finds & am honored one of my 4x4 canvases is one of them! thanks again!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite "reminders" every morning! you are talented and your work is lovely - thanks for sharing it with me!

      Delete
  14. Ohhhhh...it's BEAUTIFUL. I love it. You did such a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous! The bedroom re-do is absolutely charming with all those pieces. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Thank-you for reading and interacting, and being the best!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...